Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 01:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 16:07 pm 

Some hypothetical questions to Canadian's ?
These questions are concerning G.M. (General Motors) for the Canadian's that happen by here.
First some general questions I'd love to get the real deal on from regular old Canadian middle class citizens.
1) just how important of an employer is G.M. up north, are they a major employer ?
2) have any Japanese or Korean auto manufactures facilities there and of any and all auto manufactures with plants there who is the largest employer of them ?
3) this goes for any large employer in Canada, the way I understand is that your health care is paid for by taxes, and is provided free to all.
Now I admit I really don't know that much about your system. but would like to know more, any official links to would it works would be interesting to me. So the third question is I guess ... on a personal level you each get taxed, but are large employers expected to pay in some form based on employment levels ?

The reason I wonder if this is done because if I where to say plan a new manufacturing facility Canada might be a great place because I as employer would not have to shoulder the benefits for my employees, which cost employers here an arm and a leg.
But if on the other hand the Canadian government is going to ream the hell out of me I could head for Latin America.

While researching investment information this weekend I came across some very disturbing information, and after looking into it, confirmed it .....
G.M. did 15 Billion in business last year.
G.M. has 25 billion in cash on hand.
G.M. is carrying 200 billion in debt right now.

The red flags are going out, and this stock might get to hot for any to touch and no one will be willing to bet on their come back. This could lead to a couple thing both evolving foreign investors.
Worst case G.M. declares bankruptcy in the next 5 years and is bought up by foreign competitors for pennies on the dollar.
Another maybe more likely is they will start to peel off parts of their operation that are dominated by Unions that are killing them, and at some point similar to the Airlines now the Union will see that they need each other and make some concessions in order to just stay alive.
What ever happens it appears like the Reaper is hovering over G.M. and they are on life support.
And right now today I'm trying to figure out if more of G.M.'s operations is heading up to Canada in the short term in an attempt to cut labor cost. And what opportunities that might represent for me.

"cool beanz"
D. "FETCH" Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 15:41 pm 

1) As far as I know, GM has one or two plants in Ontario. I don't know more where, but if it really interests you, I'm sure you can find out through their web sites.

2) I don't know but wouldnt doubt that there is a japanese presence, again in Ontario.

3) Our health care is not free. We just don't have to pay every time we need medical attention. I personally pay a little over $100 cnd every 3 months, and ambulance rides are $100 cnd per ride. However, there is an earnings threshold where health care gets subsidized by the govt. But it all varies province to province. I just really know about here in Alberta.
As far as businesses paying for it, it varies from business to business. Some don't, some pay half, some pay full.

How does your healthcare system basicly work? I've heard it's not very good sometimes. Is it really true that you can be refused treatment if you can't pay?

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you have more, just ask, or look it up as stuff like this is available online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 16:26 pm 

This story might be of some interest tou you Fetch
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2005/06/30/toyota-050630.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 19:35 pm 

Very cool beanz.
Thanks a million Gosshawk

"cool beanz"
D. "FETCH" Jordan