Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 18:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fourth of July Tribute
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 18:26 pm 

Quote:
What Independence Day Means…To Me…

The Fourth of July is, in the eyes of most Americans, just another holiday. It ranks up there with Memorial Day and Labor Day. You go to a barbeque, have some fun, and celebrate something that, to most of this country, is just a vague concept. To me, it has a deeper meaning, far deeper than either Memorial Day or Labor Day.

Memorial Day is a day to honor the fallen soldiers of the United States of America. Should that not be every day? Veterans Day was originally the celebration of Armistice, the end of World War I. Once again, it honors the fallen soldiers of the United States of America and all those who have fought for our country. Why are there only, now two days, to honor our soldiers, those who give each one of us, all two hundred and eighty something million of us the right to everything that we enjoy. Once again, that should be everyday.

The Fourth of July celebrates the founding of the United States of America. In 1776, a document announcing the independence of thirteen, small colonies from the Kingdom of Great Britain, one of the largest empires the world hath ever seen, was formally adopted by the Thirteen Colonies. It took another seven, grueling years of warfare and bloodshed for the Thirteen Colonies to become independent, September 3, 1783, a date not many people know. On November 25, 1783, the last British troops left, from New York City.

There is nothing like a brief history lesson. So what does all of this mean? What significance do all of these dates have in common? History is the answer.

The United States has a rich history, spanning two hundred and twenty-nine years. In 1776, democracy was not a common form of government in the world. Today, some 120 nations are democracies out of some 193. Did they follow in the footsteps of America or was it just a natural evolution of politics? That answer lies in each country, in their history, in their struggles, in their gains, and in their leaders. Did the United States have an influence: most likely.

Today the United States is loved, hated, respected, and feared. Countries scream to us for help when they are in trouble, spit on us when the trouble is over; their people flock to our country in droves, yet everyone has a criticism.

To me, that means something. When I look out over the skyline of the greatest city on Earth, I see a 305-foot statue, holding a torch, lighting up the world. Lady Liberty stands tall in the New York Harbor and once welcomed millions upon millions of our ancestors to this country, mine included. Whenever a ship of the US Navy sails past the island, sailors stand at attention and salute her and until 2003, she was on our license plates.

To me, the Fourth of July is not just the Declaration of Independence. It is the anniversary of the formation of the greatest country in the world. It is the anniversary of freedom, of liberty, of honor. It is the day in American history when thirteen miniscule, insignificant colonies challenged the might and breadth of the British Empire, pledged their independence, and won freedom for themselves, to be passed down from generation to generation. Today, nearly three hundred million people are free because of that initial sacrifice. Time and time again, it has been tested and we have answered the call, fighting enemies near and far, known and unknown.

The soldier has protected the initial sacrifice of our Founding Fathers to this day. Each generation has had its test of freedom and each generation has won. My ancestors answered these calls: World War I, World War II, Vietnam. To me, today, I can thank them and the millions others for fighting for that sacrifice, for upholding that sacrifice made two hundred and twenty-nine years ago. I can see my generation in Afghanistan, in Iraq, making the world a safer place. I hear the criticism of them from near and from afar. What I know though is that because of these soldiers and those before them, people are allowed to criticize. Lest it not be forgotten that the freedoms taken for granted, the freedoms used to curse and demean soldiers today and in the past, was made possible by the same soldiers who are demeaned.

When I think of the Fourth of July, I think about the sacrifices they have made in the past. I think about the millions who came here seeking a better life. I think about the influence we have had on the world, good and bad. I think about the calls we have answered. I think about the wars we have fought.

The Fourth of July is about more than fireworks and barbeques. It is about more than just a document signed two hundred and twenty-nine years ago. It is about a future, unforeseen in 1776, and a past forgotten in 2005. The generations before have answered their call and my generation is answering its. When I look at Lady Liberty I know, in my heart and mind, that someday I too will be ask to uphold the sacrifice my ancestors and many more have upheld, many with their lives. When the time comes, I too will go, as the many before me hath gone, to grant the next generation the freedoms that we abuse.

The Fourth of July is about the preservation of that sacrifice, the future of this country, a future that we may not envision now, just as those in 1776 did not envision for today.

Remember our colors: red, white, and blue. Red is the color of the blood that so many have shed for us today. White is the blend of all colors of the spectrum, just as the United States is the blend of many cultures, nationalities, and races. Blue is the color of high quality, as America is the blue ribbon of the world. We will always be: red, white, and blue.

http://www.nycrsc.org

Directly linked from: http://www.nycrsc.org/Tributes/tribute_july4.htm

This is something that I found on the internet...I think it's pretty good.