Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 05:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 22:25 pm 

DCS is an amazing (But expensive) Flight sim with the most realistic terrain I have ever seen... The Persian Gulf map is just amazing. The F-14B is simply the most true to life sim of an aircraft I have ever seen. Not to keen on their new F-16 though. They should have left it alone. Its a toy compared to BMS...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 08:59 am 

I follow the reddit for it, but currently have no interest in getting it myself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/

Someone just posted this about DCS vs BMS

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/dfvjwm/dcs_f16_any_good_compared_to_bms/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 06:54 am 

Apples and Oranges... BMS has the avionics and the dynamic campaigns while DCS has the eye candy but the problem with DCS is that half of it is broken and no one is working to correct it. And the Modules come out with issues or are broken by updates to DCS world Beta. So its either mind blowing graphics or real world avionics and war... But not both in any sim yet...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am 

DCS is hard. Not even joking a little. Holy cow I feel like I need to go to flight school to figure it out, BMS was 10x easier in that regard. Making the time for it is not easy that is for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 04:17 am 

The quality of DCS and its amazing detail just blows my mind... To bad the game play is so screwed up and the modules so messed up (Except the F-14B that is!! :D ).

There has not been any development on the gaming engine itself since they made it free (free with no real combat planes that is, unless you only want to fly an unarmed P-51D or a Frogfoot)... The game itself needs a ton of work done on it or this sim will always be a half guilt broken mess. And it will be beautiful while doing it, but it wont be a realistic experience like BMS 4.34 ...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 00:37 am 

DCS says they will be implementing updates to DCS World this year and also upgrading to the latest graphics engines so look for a huge improvement before the end of 2021...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:07 pm 

I really want to get the F-16 one because that's the one I'd likely be best at - having played F4 for so many years - but I swear I feel like I need to go to school to learn how to fly in those games.
Between the insane work schedule and brain deaditude afterwards, all the $ I spent on DCS is basically just wasted right now. Big Sad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 13:34 pm 

Back around 1990, an arcade came out called F-15 Strike Eagle (IIRC). You'd put 50 cents in to start playing. Soon you'd be out of gas, so you'd put in a quarter for that. Next, you'd run out of armament, so you'd put in a quarter for that.

Now you have gas and missiles, then wham, you're dead. Want to continue, just add another 50 cents. In order to play what appeared to be a really cool game, you had to constantly pump money into it.

When I hear people talk about DCS, about how they keep spending money on the game, I am reminded of that F-15 arcade from 30 years ago.

I do have a question though? Do you have to be online to play it? If your internet goes down, can you still play?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 02:07 am 

usnraptor wrote:
Back around 1990, an arcade came out called F-15 Strike Eagle (IIRC). You'd put 50 cents in to start playing. Soon you'd be out of gas, so you'd put in a quarter for that. Next, you'd run out of armament, so you'd put in a quarter for that.

Now you have gas and missiles, then wham, you're dead. Want to continue, just add another 50 cents. In order to play what appeared to be a really cool game, you had to constantly pump money into it.

When I hear people talk about DCS, about how they keep spending money on the game, I am reminded of that F-15 arcade from 30 years ago.

I do have a question though? Do you have to be online to play it? If your internet goes down, can you still play?

You can play standalone or online on servers... It still doesn't even come close to the Falcon 4 Dynamic Campaign Engine....

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 02:25 am 

If Falcon 4 had come out prior to my discovery of USNF, I would have likely gone that direction since I was already playing 3.0 like a crack addict.

However, we all know which way I went. I have never played Falcon 4.0.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:21 pm 

Falcon 3.0 was a wollop to me!

We got it and then found you needed a math co-processor (whatever that was back then right) so I had to wait until I wound up with a newer computer to play it and then I flew the bejesus off those F-16s.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:06 pm 

Love DCS but that's largely due to a lack of options with modern combat flight sims today versus 20 years. The Hornet finally got GMT and SEA mode for its A/G radar which is a nice touch but the warhead of the AGM-84D is still borked, doing less damage than a Maverick shot against a ship target.

I love the new A-10C Tank Killer and what they've done to the sound of the GAU-8. It's still the most complicated of the modules but also the most complete. The F-14 is definitely the most visceral to fly. Heatblur just recently released the F-14A so you get to experience all the quirks of the TF-30 engines. :D I'm looking forward to the Marianna's map.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 22:22 pm 

There is a 50% off sale on DCS modules and maps right now until February 15th and also free flying of those modules before purchase...

https://stormbirds.blog/2021/02/05/dcs- ... nt-page-1/

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/5/222687 ... lunar-sale

Quote:
According to a newsletter sent out Friday, the Lunar Sale marks down just about everything by 50% with the following exceptions:

P-47D Thunderbolt is 30% off.
The Channel terrain pack, which highlights the English Channel circa 1940, is 30% off.
F/A-18C Hornet is 30% off.
F-16C Viper is 30% off.
A-10C II Tank Killer, which is the latest version of the Warthog released in October, is 30% off.
The Supercarrier add-on pack is also 30% off.
The new F-14A/B Tomcat will only have a 15% discount, and the JF-17 Thunder will cost $59.99. New campaigns are not included in the sale, nor is the DCS: Syria terrain pack. Same with the DCS: Syria module.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 21:58 pm 

Apparently I do have F-16 Viper LOL!!

Don't even remember buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 06:57 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Apparently I do have F-16 Viper LOL!!

Don't even remember buying it.

You mentioned you were going to buy it before the early release.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website