Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 19:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rolling Thunder Campaign
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 pm 

A new thread for the campaign I'm currently working on, USAF Rolling Thunder.

I have several missions built (update: campaign is complete), which can be found here:
http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Campaigns/RT65.ZIP

The Vietnam map is constantly being updated. Here is an actual Aero Navigational Chart of the region I found yesterday:
http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/onc/txu-pclmaps-oclc-8322829_j_11.jpg

If there is a mission that took place that you would like to see built, let me know (list in this thread). I already have Operation Bolo and several others. The missions need to have taken place during the Rolling Thunder campaign (Mar 65 to Nov 68), flown by the USAF, and in the areas represented by the FA map.

Request: Is anyone here able and willing to put Hainan Island into Fighters Anthology? I charted out the FA map of North Vietnam. The southwestern 1/5 of the island will fit on the map. I'll post soon a picture of the FA map, and where the island needs to go.

Last edited by usnraptor on Tue Dec 07, 2021 00:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:26 pm 

If anyone wants to build Hainan Island, it need to go where indicated on the map, in the lower right.

UPDATE: just want to point out that the blue bars on this chart represent the actual longitude and latitude lines. The very bottom of the map is 18N and the very left is 104E. The map in the game will NOT have these lines. I use these lines to help with location of actual targets while designing games.

Last edited by usnraptor on Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 05:26 am 

usnraptor wrote:
If anyone wants to build Hainan Island, it need to go where indicated on the map, in the lower right.

That is a very easy edit to the map file. It only requires changes to the MM and T2 Files. I can build that for you in just a few minutes if you send me those two files for your map... Or are this the default North Vietnam map in FA?

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 16:04 pm 

The T2 file is default.

The MM file is in my Rolling Thunder campaign folder:
[link no longer valid; MM file in Playset]

No need to add cities, airports, etc.. I can do that no problem (and actually prefer to).

But if you would do the graphic/terrain stuff for Hainan Island, that would be great.

I have 22 missions done so far. Aircraft used (flown by player) so far are: A-1E, F-4, F-100, F-104, F-105D&F(G).

I really want to add a B-52 carpet bomb mission, but I have not found any real B-52 Rolling Thunder missions flown north of the 18th parallel yet. I may have to find one close and fudge it a bit. One source briefly mentioned a B-52 hit a SAM site once in RP3, but no further details were given.

Last edited by usnraptor on Tue Dec 07, 2021 00:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 21:14 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
The T2 file is default.

The MM file is in my Rolling Thunder campaign folder:
ftp://ftp.frontier.com/pub/users/usnrap ... 20Thunder/

No need to add cities, airports, etc.. I can do that no problem (and actually prefer to).

But if you would do the graphic/terrain stuff for Hainan Island, that would be great.

I have 22 missions done so far. Aircraft used (flown by player) so far are: A-1E, F-4, F-100, F-104, F-105D&F(G).

I really want to add a B-52 carpet bomb mission, but I have not found any real B-52 Rolling Thunder missions flown north of the 18th parallel yet. I may have to find one close and fudge it a bit. One source briefly mentioned a B-52 hit a SAM site once in RP3, but no further details were given.

And you won't because the administration didn't want to use the big power of the B-52 largely because they didn't want to seem to be escalating the war. They also wouldn't send them too far north because of the SAM threat. You can't win a war if you never intend to fight it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 13:48 pm 

Does anyone know a good source online of F-4 pilots giving detailed descriptions about missions during Rolling Thunder?

I've found one with F-105 pilots that has been a huge help.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9b1FqJaiWFMJ:34tfsthuds.us/pictures/guyss/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I have 28 or 29 missions complete. I figured out last night how to have the MiGs fly in the "wagon wheel" defensive formation.

I have lots of F-105 interdiction missions. I'm trying to diversify as much as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 14:14 pm 

34 missions complete.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 15:37 pm 

Questions:

1. Does anyone know how to get computer aircraft from slowing down so much when you ask them to attack a target?

2. Is there an easy way, using a hex edittor, to change the base color of aircraft in the Shape file? i.e. make an F-4 appear green instead of gray at a distance.

I have 36 missions done. I may need to make the short, dirt runway appear invisible at a distance as well. I won't know for sure until testing the campaign.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:47 am 

Update March 3, 2020

- Rolling Thunder is here. To commemorate the 55th anniversary of the beginning of the Rolling Thunder campaign in North Vietnam, I have created a new 40 mission campaign. The player will experience a variety of historically inspired missions flying the A-1E Skyraider, B-52D Stratofortress, F-4C/D Phantom IIs, F-100D/F Super Sabres, F-104 Starfighter, F-105D/F Thunderchiefs, and the RF-101 Voodoo. It can be found in Campaigns.zip . You will need the latest USNRaptor Playset v2.1 to play the campaign.

- USNRaptor Playset v 2.1 is now available. As usual, there have been some updates & additions to various aircraft, weapons, scenery, icons, etc...as well as a new North Vietnam map.

-The biggest change to the playset, however, is an overhaul of aircraft guns (excluding some bombers and the AC-130). I did some research and created a system to get the guns to have some form of conformity to each other, and hopefully perform closer to real life. The player will notice much higher rates of fire for some guns, and more/less lethality than before. The chart I created can be found in the Weapons - My Icons folder in the FTP.

- If any errors/troubles are found with the playset in relation to the function/gameplay of other missions/campaigns, please contact me at the e-mail address at the bottom of this page. Thank You.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 22:20 pm 

Nice bit of work there...

With being locked down at home now I am thinking I can get a lot of work done on FA as well...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 01:24 am 

Thanks. I hope people enjoy it. Working on FA projects is a fun and satisfying way to spend an Indiana winter. It is also helping take my mind away from the stress from our latest "gift" from China (for those who read this in the future, I'm referring to the Corona virus pandemic).