Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 08:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 16:51 pm 

With my new skills in shape editing, I have started two new projects, really the revival of old failed projects...

Namely the development of security fences to go around airbases and the building of high tension powerlines and support towers like they have in Flanker 2 and Lomac...

And now in Falcon 4.0...

I believe both of these are now possible and I will be pursuing their development...

What other ideas have we had in the past that we thought would not be possible that may indeed be built today??

Who else remembers additional old failed projects??

CAG out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 19:24 pm 

Zephyr,

Kap told me you built powerlines a while back...

These are his exact words, actually....

Quote:
Zeph did some power lines and towers a long time ago, I was able to fly under
them with a good deal of caution :-)

So did you indeed create powerlines and what did you use? The suspension bridge cables?

CAG out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 00:40 am 

IIRC the road shape is transparent. So I retextured it into a bunch of thin lines, with regular "bars" joining the "wires." The supports were the tall passive radar antenae, which I think I made collidable or something so the retextured road shape could stack on top, with the "support bars" over the passive radar masts. I must have released a little test lib to Kaptor if he flew with them.

Zephyr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 00:43 am 

I remember saying something like "you only made these to annoy my Longbows" lol

Let your anger be like the monkey which hides inside the piniata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:18 pm 

I dont see how this is possible... the road shape will always appear flat on the ground and not 'on top' of anything... your 'wires' could not have been suspended...

Also the far shape for the road is a set of grey rectangles...

I had originally attempted to use the road for the security fence but it always laid flat on the ground, despite any positioning commands I inserted into the mission codes...

My attempt will be to create actual wires, in a new shape, such as the guide wires on the Tall King radar or the suspension bridge cables. And then tie them into a tower shape to create one item...

BTW, are you sure you didnt try to use the suspension bridge sections insead of the road and just use a transparency for the road section on the bridge to remove it? The wires would have been suspended and you could have indeed flown under them...

The way you described it above would not have been possible...

CAG out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 15:16 pm 

A further update on the powerlines...

So far the new shape experiment has been a success... I have created a girder tower with powerlines attached...

You add it as one object, then tie them together to build a power supply line... Great for making an obstacle to chopper and low altitude CAS...

They have a hit bubble and its small, around the lines, so you can fly under and over them, but if you fly into them your dead!

Also SAM missles or air to surface missiles, targetted on a vehicle below the lines, can hit the powerline by accident...

And they have a damaged shape to go along with them, that show the powerlines cut and hanging and sparking... (I animated the skin to allow a sparking effect, like the damaged E-2C_A shape uses, I actually copied the code from that shape to emulate it.) ...

It hopefully will be completed by the time I release FAF so I can include it...

Definatly a cool item!

CAG out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 02:21 am 

Quote:
I remember saying something like "you only made these to annoy my Longbows" lol

Hehehe I think that's the reason I made them, to make something to dodge at low level.

IIRC the way this was done is by giving the supports one of the airport tags. The same effect of "stacking" shapes can be seen in the Ukraine campaign mission where you take out a comm tower on top of one of the city buildings.

Zephyr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:49 pm 

Yes, I understand now, but were you ever able to overcome the far shape solid rectangle of the road shape?

Quite a noble try though, considering how limited our knowledge was of FA at that time...

CAG out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 13:41 pm 

Well IIRC the road shape is invisible, and is only visible at the closest range where it has texture.

Zephyr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 14:12 pm 

no, it has a far shape also, its solid grey... it doesnt always appear, its strange...

It appears in FAF in the taxiways, sometimes, and then others it doesnt... depends on the height and agle of the flight I guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 13:23 pm 

I just thought of something...

The road has no shape from below thus its transparent from that angle, so if you used it for the powerlines, then they must have dissappeared whenever you flew under them...

Is that correct?

CAG out...