Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 02:02 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Now, to deal with the previous question, at hand. I will not longer be supporting FA because it's just, well it's old and dead. I have taken my 5 GB partition of my E drive and removed the FA material and replaced it with other material. I shall, just as I have been, until this topic, not be coming back here as this place is no longer for me.

Good luck, enjoy, and please, play different games...

This gave me a chuckle.

Post subject: Re: Another FA Site Gone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 18:40 pm 

Yeah, I left FA in 2015 with the same bitterness. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 14:23 pm 

No one ever truly escapes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 09:43 am 

Hello everyone!

I used to leave Jane's FA long time ago too, only to get back to it. The pure magic, simpification, and yet so much to experience and in in simulation. The design is genius. The only simulation out there that barely come close to Jane's series sim is Thirdwire Strike Fighter 2, but still, it is very lacking compared to Jane's FA. It is very shame that TK does not expand SF2 to the standard of Jane's FA, or even Jane's IAF / USAF. This sim is way too simple, except for air to air radar operation whicch was excellent. Recenlty there is another sim that potientally could be quite close to Jane's FA and that is TCA (Tiny Combat Arena) and seeing how the moddablity support keep expanding.

At the same time, after seeing the development of various simulation, they either are too arcade (Ace combat, project wingman, etc..) or too complciated "study sim" (DCS is good example). There is no such thing as sim that have matched the genius design done by Jane's Combat Simulation developer team. Only if they could join us here, that would be awesome!

Now that I think about it, when I re-fly Jane's FA for sake for nostaglic, I am amazed by the pure magical of experierncing it. It never get old, and you could design the mission, mod the Jane's FA (thank to wonderful people who create the toosl for it), and do countless things with it. It is true that Jane's FA have limits, incluiding idiot AI, but it can't be helped since it is an ancient sim. I have not given up the hope that somehow, when open source FA comes out and we can do even more with it! I am offiically one of modder who is now busily exploring what I can do to mod Jane's FA with the community here.

The shining gem of Jane's FA never dim, even if hew simulation come and replace it in future (who knows?), it still shine for us to come back and fly it again and again. Jane's series simulation earn the true title of "Classic simuation" by design that any sim out there should learn about the simulation design.

"Great pilots are made not born... A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience."
Air Vice-Marshall J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 15:38 pm 

DCS with the simple Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) aircraft meets your need more than any other sim. Those aircraft (F-15C, MiG-29, Su-25, Su-27, Su-33) are all very simplified without clickable cockpits… just keyboard controls and you can map your slight stick buttons to many of their commands just like you can in FA… and mods exist to even make parts of these cockpits clickable once you gain experience with them… but they are still vastly simplified aircraft compared to the study sins like F-14, F-15E, F-16, etc…

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 18:50 pm 

Hello CAG Hotshot!

It have been a long time. I wish you could chat in our discord channel sometimes.

By the way, thank you for the reply. Unfortuantely, Flamining Cliff 3 are still limited with aircraft selection. I often see add-on aircraft that are designed for "study sim". I even wanted to fly F-14 but stil no available for FC3 (Flaming Cliff 3). I am modder in heart and I fear the complexity of converting high fideity version of add-on aircraft to low fideity mode (FC3).

And another thing, due to my sensory disbilities, I require accessbility. That is subtitles when communciating with AI tower / wingman. And at the same time, have target box around target to guide me when looking for target while paddlocking.

I do not know if FC3 have all that while Janes series sim and Strike Fighter 2 have that.

So for now I will stick with Jane's series sim and Thirdwire Strike Fighter 2 where I can fly in any era. It is true that my options is frsutratedly limited and that's okay. I have a dream and that is to develop new low fideity / semi-realistic sim with the inspiration from the Jane's Combat Simulation series and Thirdwire Strike Fighter 2 simulations, especailly with the options of accessbilities.

Eagle114th

"Great pilots are made not born... A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 03:22 am 

The good thing about flaming cliffs 3 aircraft in DCS is that having this old “module” allows you to also download dozens of free aircraft developed by third parties like the A-4, F-4, F-22, F-35, The Su-57, the chinese stealth aircraft… plus More weapons Like the AIM-240, etc and as stated before they're all free and you cant fly them without buying flaming cliffs 3 for DCS but the good news is that FC3 is very very inexpensive!

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:23 am 

They just started another sale too. Flaming Cliffs 3 is now $24.99 and they still offer a 50% discount on the first order for new users. With the current sale + the 50% off anyone can do some damage for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 00:51 am 

And DCS World 2.9046801 Beta has just been released allowing multithreading, Nividia DLSS for advanced learning for graphics improvement and many many more goodies…

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 09:45 am 

They've allowed MT for a few now, I had to turn it off, performance was worse. The biggest thing I've found - which was told to me - is to have it installed on your C drive with C being an SSD. Boots up really fast. I used to sit for minutes waiting for both boot and server join because it was on my HDD "D" drive. When I did my Windows 11 reformat and put in my new drives, I bought a 2 TB C drive just for the purpose of putting DCS on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 01:01 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
And DCS World 2.9046801 Beta has just been released allowing multithreading, Nividia DLSS for advanced learning for graphics improvement and many many more goodies…

Hello CAG Hotshot, thank you for the enthusiastic post, just for your information, the reasons why I haven’t bought FC3 yet is due to accessibility situation. I have sensory disabilities, so I need accessibility.

I want to know if they have subtitles when communicating with AI tower and wingman for single players / campaign? And do they have customizable HUD, like adding arrow and ‘square’ box around target to help me spotting targets like Thirdwire SF2 and Jane’s sim have?

If they do, I am more than happy to buy Flaming Cliff 3 and give it a try.

Eagle114th