Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FA Textures Website
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 06:30 am 

Jimbo wrote:
Thanks Raptor. I wasn't able to find an installation guide to download or play Fighter's Anthology on Windows 10 on your site, and I don't even have a CD-Drive to run my old discs. Do you think my 3080 can handle this game? I did stumble upon an ISO file on Splinter00S' Youtube channel, which might be the only way I can get it to run. Unfortunately I'm too much of a graphics geek to regularly play this game again. I still joke with friends that this was the greatest game I ever played, but it is hard to imagine playing the same game. To give this game more of a pulse online, the new content and graphics that have been developed should be publicly showcased. It'd be great to see a montage on Youtube highlighting improvements and new graphics.

I had to browse through some of my old posts on here to honestly recall moments I forgot all about. This included the MiG-21 skin I created, and the Alpha Jet skin for Centurian I made. I'm guessing Cent's old skin repository may have been lost too? I also forgot all about registering with the VNFA forum and seemingly being banished from it. It's probably a bit too late, but I never understood the desire to keep so much secrecy over developments for this game especially after so many years have past.

As for skins, I can see posts on here of me referencing the exact F-18 photos I used, which was a real trip. I also spotted the 2003 post where I suggested to use a collection of F-18 skins I found. So based on that it entirely possible I used them for reference on my own. Keep in mind - this was almost 20 years ago. To claim the skins were stolen pixel for pixel is a bit of a stretch though, and anyone who has worked on skins in this game knows it isn't that simple. I wish it was as easy as dropping in a 3D model or skin from another game. For certain I can remember investing far more hours than I'd like to admit into a handful of skins in this game. My goal was to ultimately have fun making better looking skins and share them for others to use. I never aspired to make any profit off this game or the skins I made. I'm thankful this game gave me an outlet to develop my design skills that would later evolve into the career I have today.

Hopefully one day there is a new game engine or flight game that users in this community can pour their passion and attention to detail into. At this point it looks like that may be the only hope to capture what loved about FA in a modern looking game.

I can only imagine how many more hours the rest of you have put into this game.

Jimbo

There is a new engine being built for FA... Well sort of.. A guy is porting FA into a new engine with new terrain that doesn't disappear at 37500 ft and it uses FA objects such as aircraft, vehicles, ships... FA shapes, skins, Weapons, scenery, etc...

He has only made the very first ports into his engine but it looks as though it could work out if he doesn't start changing file names so existing FA libs and missions can still work in it...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...