Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 04:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FA Textures Website
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 22:44 pm 

Link: http://www28.brinkster.com/fanthology/fatextures.html

I've created a great site to showcase all of my work and make it easier for people to find, once all are complete I will make life even easier and have downloads for each texture. Enjoy, feel free to tell me what you think.

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 03:33 am 

I don't know whats better, the textures or the site design...awesome doode!

For all your FA needs and Game Remod 6 visit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:22 am 

Jimbo, you did a great job...

However on your F-18F, if you are going by the pic on link you posted to the real bird, then you should know the rudders are not a darker color like you have on the skin, they only look darker in the real pic because of the angle they are has shaded them from the sun. The real birds rudders are the same collor as the tail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 17:20 pm 

Yeah I copy that CAG & noticed it on the 104 Hornet from the same wing. Was just the rudder angled a bit so thank you. The new one is updated and may I add thanks, because this new tail is ALL new and A LOT more accurate/clearer (screen updated too).

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 21:44 pm 

You do nice work there Jimbo, considering how you are limited to that damn ugly FA grey. Did you get my message about the original colored skin? BTW I still think your skin has alot of the same types of textures that I used, just that you seem to have refined them in grey where as I chose the blueish slate. I think i have located where the different comes from. Pac Squadrons seem to have the blueish haze where as Atlantic Squadrons seem to have the lighter shades...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 22:07 pm 

Thanks, as for the similarity to yours like you mentioned once before? Please try not to put it like that it reads like an accusation from my side ya know and in that case it is untrue, let me explain anyway.
It is fact that both our jets should have similarities as we are working on the same aircraft and I haven't based ANY of your work on my planes at all (period) and really I haven't recieved any clear screens of your work to compare, which I would like to check out for sure.
All my textures are taken right from real photos of jets to create the closest thing to realism I can get to with the restrictions of the color palette always being a factor. Also as for the crappy default grey? It is the absolute closest thing to realism the game will allow and planes that are textured skyblue just do not look real at all in contrast even though there is some blue variation in certain planes and their photos, most times this is simply just due to the camera used in taking the photo (but you are right CAG some greys are blue-greys with very little blue. So thanks for the responses thus far everyone, next thing I have to do is work on the intakes of course. I also noticed another thing, the F-18F air brakes aren't even along the center of the plane like the jet in the game. They look much cooler too.

And just so you know CAG incase I was a little unclear I don't know what you mean by saying my texture looks like yours and/or vice versa, so I just took the time now to explain how I do texture my aircraft, it is the honest truth, something I discovered on my own and hopefully it might help out some others too who read this. Later...

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 23:39 pm 

when did any Hornets get separate speed brakes?

Let your anger be like the monkey which hides inside the piniata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 04:10 am 

The new canopy on the F-18F is much better, fits better...excellent work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 08:35 am 

Jimbo wrote:
Thanks, as for the similarity to yours like you mentioned once before? Please try not to put it like that it reads like an accusation from my side ya know and in that case it is untrue, let me explain anyway.
It is fact that both our jets should have similarities as we are working on the same aircraft and I haven't based ANY of your work on my planes at all (period) and really I haven't recieved any clear screens of your work to compare, which I would like to check out for sure.
All my textures are taken right from real photos of jets to create the closest thing to realism I can get to with the restrictions of the color palette always being a factor. Also as for the crappy default grey? It is the absolute closest thing to realism the game will allow and planes that are textured skyblue just do not look real at all in contrast even though there is some blue variation in certain planes and their photos, most times this is simply just due to the camera used in taking the photo (but you are right CAG some greys are blue-greys with very little blue. So thanks for the responses thus far everyone, next thing I have to do is work on the intakes of course. I also noticed another thing, the F-18F air brakes aren't even along the center of the plane like the jet in the game. They look much cooler too.

And just so you know CAG incase I was a little unclear I don't know what you mean by saying my texture looks like yours and/or vice versa, so I just took the time now to explain how I do texture my aircraft, it is the honest truth, something I discovered on my own and hopefully it might help out some others too who read this. Later...

Jimbo

Jimbo no sweat! I do not see how it would ever be possible to alter what I did to ever come up with what you have. What I meant was that you proceeded along the same kind of thought line I did. Using textures to make those damn skinny wings look like they have some substance! And to give the lower fuselage some depth and tie it into the rest of the structure. I think your work is great and I believe I have mentioned before that you did a better job then I did on your Hornet! The only reservation I felt was that you are limited to those lousy stock FA shape colors in relation to the US jets. However you seem to like it so what the heck! You have motivated me to also redo mine! Also I was hoping to see your new landing gear you mentioned? And another aircraft that would benefit extremely from a gear upgrade is the F-16C, that bird is just dying for better gear!

And again let me state clearly... When I say that your skin looks ba bit like mine... I did the wings on my Hornet about the same way you did adding the wing cord and flap hinge lines with a blended texture.. To add depth, plus my lower fuselage around the engine nacelles for more depth. But the wya you did yours and the way I did mine are quite different! Never meant to say they were the same, just the brain pattern behind the developments run in parallel with each other as we both saw where the Hornet skin was very lacking. Hope that clears it up! Keep up the good work!

CAG out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 22:30 pm 

Jimbo I really like the improved canopy! Not only because it is the dark canopy you already know I prefer, but becaseu you did a better job of texturing it into the airframe. Do I have permission to incorporate it into FA Futures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 23:33 pm 

Not a problem CAG, I'm really busy this week though so give me a few days. On the weekend I'll do some finishing touches on my wheels and then send it over. OH YEAH! By the way I have some nice looking squared-off inlets I have been texturing, I will get those completed too this weekend. I'll be back in the community after Friday, I've just really gotta get some schoolwork done.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 16:47 pm 

The twin-seat Super Hornet is now complete and 6 screens are available for viewing at my textures site (1 you have seen - the under carriage shot). The other 5 are completley new, showing all the final touches including the squared-off inlets, new tires and where I touched up the connecting pieces to the tires.

http://www28.brinkster.com/fanthology/fatextures.html

All things considered I have to conclude by saying, "mission accomplished" as I far exceeded all of my original expectations. Tell me what you think EVERYONE :P thanks...

Jimbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 19:17 pm 

Yeah that is the second best yet (I think the Alphajet is the best, that is simply amazing)...What do you use to do this? PSP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 20:14 pm 

Excellent work Jimbo, truly excellent work! I also like the way you chose to pose the aircraft for the screenshots. Very flattering shots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 21:06 pm 

Put down the tissue Cag :?