Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 06:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:47 am 

Kap,

Take your time! I was just teasing you! I already extracted this information and have adapted it to an article for the site. But hell its not even back online yet so dont worry about it!

Now back to the radars...

I did some additional testing and found that you can indeed degrade the lookdown capability of the multimode radar with the lookdown settings and found that it does not eliminate ground mapping function of the radar. Only the speed below functions do that. or in partnership with the speed below function.

Essentially what you can do with an air to air only radar is use the look down to limit its lookdown tracking capability on targets, no matter the speed, while the speed below funtion will relate to the targets speed. I had more trouble detecting even fast targets that were below my nose with this adjusted setting of 25 on lookdown with the 14,14 (14,14,0,25,0) speed settings in the pulse doppler radar. finding the target was possible, just it limited the range you could see it and made it a narrower search..

And in the multimode it degrades the radar return off the ground object, limiting its return by the % you degrade the lookdown. I used a 14,0,0,35,0 setting on lookdown on my F-18 radar and I could still pickout large buildings and ground installations like runways at a far distance, but at a shaorter distance then with a 0 setting. Armor was not effected as it is well inside the standard radar range anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 19:43 pm 

rgrt CAG, I'm doing some more testing of the "look down" settings myself, I'll get back if anything earthshaking turns up but it seems prety straightforward.

Let your anger be like the monkey which hides inside the piniata.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 02:23 am 

hmmm... not getting the results I want yet. With a look down degrade of 100 I can still pick up low flying helos from 100 miles away, this is with a speed above number of 16, so more work to be done

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:30 pm 

rgr I am seeing it on fast objects. Also it degrades slightly the capability to see ground objects. Not significantly.

However have you tried editing the PT file outside the TK and seeing what happens with very large numbers in the lookdown segments?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 02:05 am 

ok, what I'm going with now is 16-0-0-85-0 this screens beaming helos for about 75% of max range(they show up at between 50% and 25% of max) but the air to ground ranges are only slightly degraded. For lower quality RADARs for say imports and older planes I degrade those numbers by just adding an all aspect number, about 20 seems to work out well. I'll be going with 14 different RADARs in Kap3 including seperate AWACS for eastern and western forces. SURE wish we could make a 75mile RADAR, that's a criticle range for todays fighters and I'm just having to go with a high quality 50 mile instead. Looks like I'll be shipping this out to my tester this weekend, wight release next week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:29 am 

Now Kap, this is the multimode (Air and ground) radar setting, correct?

HA! I'm gonna steal'em for FA Futures! LOL!!! (you will get credit of course!, though my degraded radar is nearly as nice on head on targets limited by altitude... Yours works better for beaming targets. I love how they disappear...

I think we should all standardize on Kap's radars for our developments. It will be a major first step in joint development for FA-2...

Now second question of the day... Have you tried limiting rdar weapons the same way? Opening the JT file to see if there are equal limitations within its seeker head?

CAG out...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:19 am 

Another add on idea to make combat more realeastic when 'beaming' the target...

If we scale back our weapons ranges, especially the usually longer detection range vs the tracking range, then the bandit will not be able to reaquire you as easily once you break lock, as you will be outside the detection range of his weapons...

The AI is using the extended detection range of his ordnance to relocate you once you ahve beatin his radar...

Also Kap, have you tested doppler effects for IR detectors to see if the game will allow the same sort of limitations?

CAG out...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 15:50 pm 

Mulit-Mode ? yes.

About the IR stuff, no havent tried it but for airborn FLIR the "all aspect" numbers should work out fine.

Weapons limitaions? yeah sounds like a good idea. Ther'se myriad stuff to screw with in the weapons pages, all aspect, look down, TAA etc. I fooled with them just a little back when I started all this RADAR stuff. As I recall the settings will be great for IR missles but not so great for RF, but worth further review ( CAG i SEE what yer doin, yer trying to push KAP3 FAR to the right into 2004 ROFLMAO )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 18:29 pm 

Close Kap!! HAHA!! OR I could be pushing for you to become another VNFAWING Dev Group member with Jimbo...

Interested? I put forward his submission next week to the group...

You wont beleive what you will have access to... Its quite amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 23:06 pm 

hmmmmmm...... you have pemission to temp me, but I'm a fairly stone cold loner so dont be dissed IF I turn it down ok, it wont be personal, but I'll keep an open mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:16 pm 

Not a problem! I kinda figures you would... Its the same reason I always knew Cent would turn it down also...

You guys like going your own ways...

No sweat!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 23:44 pm 

I'm an independant, ridiculously loyale team player, YOU figure it out cause I havent yet LOLOL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 19:30 pm 

I think it all has to do with those "Brains of Steel"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:29 am 

milled from the finest grade of "Unobtainium" LOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 13:07 pm 

LMAO!!!!! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next