Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 14:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 16:20 pm 

I was looking for a Lib where I could get some new/updated weapons, some new/different aircraft, and upgrades to the existing planes/weapons.

But it seems like I'll need more than one lib to accomplish this. How many libs could be installed and played with?

jb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 20:35 pm 

josh1971:

In my experience, it's not so much the number of custom LIBs that are installed in your FA directory as the total number of custom items introduced by the LIBs that is the real issue to be concerned about (though there may be a limit on the number of LIBs that I haven't hit yet).

For example, right now I've got the following installed in my FA directory:

1) My own Nam LIB set (2 LIB files)

2) a custom North Vietnam map LIB (1 LIB file)

3) a custom missions pack (1 LIB file)

That's four total LIBs, and they work just fine (in fact, they were designed to work together). Other custom LIB set are comprised of more LIBs -- Zephyr's JKPFA 5.0 beta LIB set is made up of 7 LIBs -- again, they work just fine.

The upper limit for total number of custom items (i.e., aircraft, vehicles, weapons, scenery, ECM devices, & seekers) is somewhere between 1500 & 1600 -- which is a lot. If you install LIBs that add more custom items than FA can handle, you'll get the error message:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

The "details" button reports:

"FA caused an invalid page fault in module FA.exe at 0123:45678999."

Another consideration, esp. if you're installing LIBs from different sources, is compatibility. If you have multiple LIBs that are all customize the same items, you could run into problems.

You could also run into problems if you install a custom mission pack LIB that uses custom objects that included only in a certain custom LIB, and you don't also install that LIB.

As always, best thing to do is read any documentation included with the LIBs you install, and install them one at a time, checking to ensure that FA runs and plays missions fine after each new LIB (or LIB set) is added.

As for LIBs that add lots of custom aircraft and weapons, Zephyr's JKPFA & Nuclear Forces LIBs offer plenty of cool new stuff, as does KAPTOR's KAPSET 3.0 LIB set. Some of the other good ones (in no particular order):

- VarkLIB
- Hawk's AngelLIB
- Global Tribunal (GT)
- GameRemod 6 or 7
- FlopDog McSporran Airlines
- CAG Hotshot's FA Futures 2003

All are comprehensive attempts to overhaul FA from top to bottom. All are available on the FARC LIBs download page.

You might also check out my own custom LIB sets GT-ELH and Nam-ELH, both available here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/fa/index.html

I'm sure others more experienced than I will have additional advice on this subject.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 21:15 pm 

Thanks! I'm trying to look through the libs to see which one(s) would be best for what I'm wanting. Really, I'm trying to get some things like:

*F/A-18E and F so I can fly strike missions with them
*F-15E with realistic loading, as well as other aircraft that have this problem.
*Some updated weaponry (The JDAMs on the game look an awful lot like LGBs, and there are NO 500 pound LGB or JDAMs at all).
*Some napalm cans would be nice
*The flyable choppers would be cool (I've seen this in a few libs)

I'm trying to put myself together a really big, really extensive WWIII set of missions in multiple theaters. To that end, I'm also trying to find some maps (Venezuela, UK, Alaska) that go along with my story.

Your info is very helpful! Thanks again.

JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 01:14 am 

There is an actual maximum number of libs that can be added to the game. Even small libs fall under this limitation, but I cant remember the actual number...

Lets just say the number is high enough to make it impractical to be a real problem when using real libs...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

Post subject: Lib
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 02:01 am 

Josh1971

Try Kapset3.0, JKP 4.5, or GameRemod 6 or 7. They have what you are look for. CAG's FAF has realistic wep loads and great looking aircraft. :)

Regards,
Pappy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 21:37 pm 

FAF Korea 2007 will indeed be released before the end of the year.

THOUGH it may be in single player mode only as we are still having issues with map changes being XP Multiplayer compatible...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 00:43 am 

where is the faf korea 2007? its 2008 now :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 16:35 pm 

Its in final testing to stamp out some remaining bugs.

Be patient...

Besides, what makes you think you are actually on the list to receive a copy?!?!?

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 20:26 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:

Besides, what makes you think you are actually on the list to receive a copy?!?!?

That's what I'm talking about. Maybe it's YOU who needs to grow up. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 02:17 am 

Actually, since you dont know what you are talking about, at any time or in any of your pathetic posts, I dont really care what you post...

Have a nice day little boy... :lol:

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 00:52 am 

eburger68 wrote:
josh1971:

... The upper limit for total number of custom items (i.e., aircraft, vehicles, weapons, scenery, ECM devices, & seekers) is somewhere between 1500 & 1600 -- which is a lot. If you install LIBs that add more custom items than FA can handle, you'll get the error message:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

The "details" button reports:

"FA caused an invalid page fault in module FA.exe at 0123:45678999." ...

Best,

Eric L. Howes

Well, I just discovered this limit tonight. The number is 1,635 total files in the Fighters Anthology folder. If you subtract the original 21 files, you're left with 1614 files. (Keep in mind I don't use libs).

Once I cross over to 1,636 total files, I get "FA has caused an error in FA.EXE. FA will now close."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 16:23 pm 

I recently took the FA_2.LIB, split it apart, deleted the default missions and text, deleted .PT and .JT files of which I had replacements for, and relibbed it back together.

Since the toolkit has a size limit, I had to make FA_2 into 4 libs (FA_2A.LIB, FA_2B.LIB, etc...).

Then I added my libs to it. With the unwanted default material out of the way, I was able to add all of my content including all the campaigns.

Though I did limited testing, it seemed to work fine with two major exceptions. It would crash to desktop when I selected Pro Mission creator or when I hit ESC while flying a mission.

These problems didn't appear in the past when I did the same thing except I left FA_2.lib content as individual files.

(I'm not necessarily asking for help, per se. I wanted to post this for addition to the knowledge base.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 01:46 am 

usnraptor wrote:
I recently took the FA_2.LIB, split it apart, deleted the default missions and text, deleted .PT and .JT files of which I had replacements for, and relibbed it back together.

Since the toolkit has a size limit, I had to make FA_2 into 4 libs (FA_2A.LIB, FA_2B.LIB, etc...).

Then I added my libs to it. With the unwanted default material out of the way, I was able to add all of my content including all the campaigns.

Though I did limited testing, it seemed to work fine with two major exceptions. It would crash to desktop when I selected Pro Mission creator or when I hit ESC while flying a mission.

These problems didn't appear in the past when I did the same thing except I left FA_2.lib content as individual files.

(I'm not necessarily asking for help, per se. I wanted to post this for addition to the knowledge base.)

Can you be more specific What do you mean as "left as specific files"? Do you mean as unlibbed files?

I have CTDs occasionally when working on FAF when do the Pro Mission Creator. I have found that is often caused by not having enough PIC files in the libraries you create AND/OR by not having enough available memory due to system limits not releasing enough free memory space back to the RAM. A reboot can often solve that issue. Also if the LIB you added has to many files that are not dated the same dates for the items in the library (skin, shape, PT file cockpit, etc...). I guess any older files tend to cause a date confliction in the library which CTDs on the Pro Mission Screen.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 02:08 am 

Quote:
Can you be more specific What do you mean as "left as specific files"? Do you mean as unlibbed files?

Two years ago, I did this:

http://jkpeterson.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=722&p=20772&hilit=individual+files#p20772

^^ That is what I was referring to as "individual files." [I just realized I had written that in a different thread.]

This time, however, I only did it with FA_2.Lib and tried to put it back together.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 02:33 am 

usnraptor wrote:
Quote:

Two years ago, I did this:

http://jkpeterson.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=722&p=20772&hilit=individual+files#p20772

^^ That is what I was referring to as "individual files." [I just realized I had written that in a different thread.]

This time, however, I only did it with FA_2.Lib and tried to put it back together.

Thanks I forgot all about that after comparing F-14 shapes... I still need to work on that fil limiter in FATK and libhack...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website