Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: carpet bombing problem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 17:51 pm 

for the ww2 mod im working on, the bombers are having problems performing carpet bombing. they just fly over target at say 15,000 ft and keep aquiring and tracking but never firing. the bombs are set at 7nm range, unlim altitude, 90'pitch, 45'fov, 12 carpet bursts. the bombers have internal bays. i cant figure out how to make them perform high altitude carpet bombing. help?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 01:54 am 

Did you check the carpet bombing box in the FATK for those aircraft?

Also I think there is something else you have to do as well... Remember the range of the weapons have to include the miles to target and the height of the altitude of the aircraft...

BTW, its good to see you back here. You should post more often! :D

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 17:12 pm 

hehe i was never gone! always checking posts and the progress of your work. as for my problem yes i have checked the carpet bombing box and i set the range to insane values and the altitudes too. i just can't get the damn thing to carpet bomb. i remember i used to get this to work, in fact i have a video of it.

also another problem, when ever i create a new object in my LIB the game crashes. I have to add that object to a new LIB and build that and remove it from the original LIB to fix the crash. is there a way to solve this issue? im asking this because i added crap load of weapons last night and now i cannot get the game running and i don't want to go through deleting everything. hell i don't even remember exactly what i created lol. im thinking of giving up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 21:10 pm 

Ali wrote:
hehe i was never gone! always checking posts and the progress of your work. as for my problem yes i have checked the carpet bombing box and i set the range to insane values and the altitudes too. i just can't get the damn thing to carpet bomb. i remember i used to get this to work, in fact i have a video of it.

also another problem, when ever i create a new object in my LIB the game crashes. I have to add that object to a new LIB and build that and remove it from the original LIB to fix the crash. is there a way to solve this issue? im asking this because i added crap load of weapons last night and now i cannot get the game running and i don't want to go through deleting everything. hell i don't even remember exactly what i created lol. im thinking of giving up.

I have no idea what the file limits are in Win7 when building libs...

In XP you had to have certain numbers of graphical files and a max number of object files per lib (aircraft, vehicles, weapons, etc)...

BTW, on your weapons, did you set the number for carpet bombing burst? That sets the number of weapons dropped in a single carpet bombing run...

From Zephyr's FARC FA Tips page...

Quote:
Q. What does the carpet bomb check box do?

A. The carpet bombing check for aircraft causes that aircraft to fire any weapon (with a specific carpet burst specified) differently from how that weapon would be normally fired. It will fire the number of weapons that have been specified in a weapon's "Game rounds in carpet burst" box, accessable via that weapon's Firing menu. "Delay between game rounds" specifies the time interval (in 1/4 seconds) between each projectile in a carpet burst. For example, if a B-52 has carpet bombing checked and carries Mk-82s, and the Mk-82 has 20 as the number of game rounds in a carpet burst, fired at an interval of eight 1/4 seconds, the B-52 will drop 20 Mk-82s over a period of 40 seconds on any target it attacks.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 21:04 pm 

i setup multiboot so i work with FA on XP. funny how on my other mod which is about 10x the size i have 10x the number of weapons and aircrafts and it does not crash like this. i literally have to create a new lib for every object now. i fixed the carpet bombing problem by just creating new bombs again. not sure what i did but it works now its SOO cool lol. the only problem is they do not carpet bomb at night due to limitations of the visual seeker. so im guessing i need a radar guided bomb? the mod is comming out really nice except for its graphics. i need shapes and textures for b-29, b-17, b-24, p51, p47, bf109 etc... artillery/AAA fire is very interesting with AI spamming AAA at altitudes of even 20,000ft (similar to jane's f-15). Carpet bombing is now flawless at day and very inaccurate as well lol.

also i know this is unrelated but i was wondering if you know in which language this game was made? C/C++ ??

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 18:47 pm 

If I remember right, when it came to carpet bombing, sometimes the planes are a pain in the ass. A lot of times they didn't do it from level flight, they would come down near the target and drop the bombs at whatever their corner speed was and at low altitude. Then they would evade as they came off the target and jink a bunch.

Try these methods:

>> increase the range of the bombs [account that htey can drop them from 7nm from 30,000 feet and figure out the slant or something maybe that will help]
>> check that box of course
>> make sure they can acquire the target with a sensor [IR/Laser/Radar]

Now as far as LIB crashes go, I never solved that but I had it non-stop. A lot of times I think it's a spazzed out shape file or something. I built LIBs with 1000+ items in them and sometimes certain items didn't work well with others. Try thinking of the latest files you added to the crash and just go back on your steps. MiG-29 shape file [I think IIRC] crashed me a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 01:05 am 

You also need to make all objects (PT, SH, _.PIC file) for the same object all in the same library, especially if one has a newer date than the other...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website