Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 05:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 16:12 pm 

Hi again after a long time. It's good to see there's still activity here. Too bad I can't come more often :(

I'd like to build a mission in which an AI controlled flight flies low enough to be invisible to the player's radar. I don't remember exactly wether this was possible or if you could only do this as a human player.

I tried setting up the AI flight flying at 1000ft in FA (flying over water only). Then I changed the aircraft locations and waypoint locations in a text editor to various altitudes, but without achieving the desired result:

Setting altitude to anything below 300ft (I tried 100, 180, 200, 280) resulted in the planes popping up and down all the time. In consequence they were visible to my radar (flying above 500ft most of the time).
Setting altitude to 300ft or above resulted in the planes flying straight, but being visible to radar (due too flying to high I guess).

Has anyone been able to produce what I'm trying to do?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:30 am 

There is only one way that I know of to use terrain to mask radar... That being if the human player and radar are both within the elevation bubble of the terrain the aircraft is flying over.

Another words, radar will only be masked if the terrain is tall enough to do so.

Also to get aircraft to fly at lower altitudes will require a change in the PT file on line 58 for minimum altitude...

Quote:
0058 dword ^300. . :MINUMUM ALTITUDE

The above aicraft is set to fly at 300 ft and no lower...

This is also editable through the toolkit.

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 08:25 am 

Thanks CAG, that's excellent help.

I'll see if there are alternative aircraft that the nation in question could use with a lower minimum altitude. Otherwise I'll have to include a changed PT in the mission.

In multiplayer mode, flying below radar used to work. If you fly below 200ft you were invisible to other players given the following conditions:
- Enemy doesn't have AWACS
- Enemy doesn't have IR sensors
- Enemy doesn't watch RWR (or you turn off your radar)
- Enemy is a human player (doesn't work against the AI)
- Sea level is relevant for 200ft, not ground level, i.e. you cannot stay hidden if you cross hills or high scenery objects

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:42 am 

That was due to multiple reasons in multiplayer...

Radar has limited lookdown settings in multiplayer and also radar gimble limits are enforced in multiplayer...

Plus radar ranges are also more limited in multiplayer if seeker settings are set to be more realeastic.

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 03:48 am 

Hi CAG, thanks again for your help. I've changed the minimum altitude of the relevant aircraft to 100 and now it is really invisible to player radar if it flies at 100ft.

Unfortunately I didn't find any default aircraft (including helicopters) with minimum altitude below 300ft, so I the mission will only work together in conjunction with the changed PT file. I'll probably turn it into a small lib file.