Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 07:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hidden Gems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 17:35 pm 

Last night, I decided to try to make hangar2 have the ability to park an aircraft inside. Up until now, when hangar2 was placed on top of a parking spot, aircraft would end up on the roof.

What I did to create the hangar was used the dock house OT and gave it the hanger2 shape. To give more authenticity, I opened the doors.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HO1.jpg

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HO2.jpg

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HO3.jpg

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HO4.jpg

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HO5.jpg

Now for the Hidden Gem part. While getting the textures for hangar2 from the toolkit, I saw one labeled 'hangar.' I looked inside, and this is what I found.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HN1.jpg

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HN2.jpg

http://myplace.frontier.com/~ocsdor/HN3.jpg

We now know of this, and we know the old Su-37 shape/textures are 'hidden' in the FA disks. What other hidden gems are there? Let's make this the hidden gems thread.

Last edited by usnraptor on Thu Mar 04, 2021 17:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hidden Gems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 22:29 pm 

Wow I never thought to put those two hangars together.
Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 04:02 am 

One of those gems of yours have been in FA Futures since 2003...

I use the old hangar as a warehouse in my port areas on the docks. It looks perfect in that role... The main hangar (hangar2) you use I also use for many different buildings as well as hangars of various types... But I liked the hard top roof as you can land a Helo on it... The one thing I don't know (I have not experimented with it) is if there a separate destroyed shape for the old hangar in your last picture? If so I can make a truly open hangar like I did my Hardened Shelter, with interior walls and hard stand to park your plane on and a fully open front area with open doors...

I had wanted to do this with the same hangar shape you used for the big hangar but the crashed shape is just a part of the main shape and cant be made to be visible unless it is actually destroyed...

Starting a mission from the Hardened Shelter in my F-16XL ...

Series of pics show the F-16XL startup and taxing out.

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 01:11 am 

A not-so-hidden gem. The graphic for the afterburner on the YAK-141 is missing in ATF Gold and Fighters Anthology, but it does exist in USNF'97. I discovered that today as my autistic son, who insisted on having all three on his vintage computer, was playing it today.

I'll try to get that into the Playset. Hopefully for the F-35 as well.

Update: I moved the Y141.SH and .Pic from USNF97 directly to FA no problem. Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the same result for Hawke's F-35 that I use.

Last edited by usnraptor on Fri Mar 05, 2021 03:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 09:44 am 

You know I don't think I ever noticed that, great find.
Speaking of the Yak-41, I have Yefim Gordon's book in PDF on it. I have a few of his on PDF and some hard copy (Su-24, S-37/MiG MFI) - shout if anyone wants, they're really detailed.

Now why I'm bringing this up right? So I was looking into the Yak-41 and wondering why it had so little payload for so much thrust.
Couldn't find a straight answer but I think it just had to do with Soviet engineering or perhaps priorities.

So I looked at what a Yak-41 could do compared to the AV-8.
Not shabby. I also wanted another two pylons so I figured a modest increase to the wingspan would fit a pair of rails for Archers or Aphids.

Came out to a fun little what-if project I made.
I might throw it into FA one day as an Easter Egg along with my Novi Avion realized :) and my "What if the MiG-25 could sustain Mach 3 and carry the payload of the MiG-31?"

Those last two you can see here (eventually the Yak will be there too) that I make for a worldbuilding group.

https://anterra.miraheze.org/wiki/ZuB-12_Stervyatnik

https://anterra.miraheze.org/wiki/ZuB-17_Ter%27er

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 03:26 am 

usnraptor wrote:
A not-so-hidden gem. The graphic for the afterburner on the YAK-141 is missing in ATF Gold and Fighters Anthology, but it does exist in USNF'97. I discovered that today as my autistic son, who insisted on having all three on his vintage computer, was playing it today.

I'll try to get that into the Playset. Hopefully for the F-35 as well.

Update: I moved the Y141.SH and .Pic from USNF97 directly to FA no problem. Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the same result for Hawke's F-35 that I use.

Well is the shape identical otherwise to the Yak 141 in FA? If so it is an easy fix to correct it by adding in Hawk's changes. I can do that via a comparison...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 03:28 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
You know I don't think I ever noticed that, great find.
Speaking of the Yak-41, I have Yefim Gordon's book in PDF on it. I have a few of his on PDF and some hard copy (Su-24, S-37/MiG MFI) - shout if anyone wants, they're really detailed.

Now why I'm bringing this up right? So I was looking into the Yak-41 and wondering why it had so little payload for so much thrust.
Couldn't find a straight answer but I think it just had to do with Soviet engineering or perhaps priorities.

So I looked at what a Yak-41 could do compared to the AV-8.
Not shabby. I also wanted another two pylons so I figured a modest increase to the wingspan would fit a pair of rails for Archers or Aphids.

Came out to a fun little what-if project I made.
I might throw it into FA one day as an Easter Egg along with my Novi Avion realized :) and my "What if the MiG-25 could sustain Mach 3 and carry the payload of the MiG-31?"

Those last two you can see here (eventually the Yak will be there too) that I make for a worldbuilding group.

https://anterra.miraheze.org/wiki/ZuB-12_Stervyatnik

https://anterra.miraheze.org/wiki/ZuB-17_Ter%27er

The forger has weak engines... It has multiple dedicated lift engines up front for vertical lift and they are dead weight when flying horizontally, so they limit what the aircraft can carry as they provide no thrust on forward flight...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:13 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Well is the shape identical otherwise to the Yak 141 in FA? If so it is an easy fix to correct it by adding in Hawke's changes. I can do that via a comparison...

Hawke made the wing area trapezoidal. Also, the y141.pic in '97 does not match up with the y141.pic used in FA.

I guess what would need done is to take the Y141.SH from usnf97 and give it the trapezoidal wing. Then just recolor Y141.PIC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 13:03 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
The forger has weak engines... It has multiple dedicated lift engines up front for vertical lift and they are dead weight when flying horizontally, so they limit what the aircraft can carry as they provide no thrust on forward flight...

Hard agree on the Yak-38 it's garbage.

Yak-41 though didn't hurt for thrust.
- 2x lift turbojets giving them 9,400 lbf each
- main turbofan giving them 30,860 lbf of thrust in VTO mode
- 49,660 lbf when you add it all up - imagine wasting all that thrust?

Supposedly, LockMart was working with Yakovlev post USSR breakup to try to help them out - what with the JSF program going on ahead - and make the Yak-41 an aircraft it could be but I believe that fell apart probably because everyone was broke at that point in Russia.

Likely it would have bumped up the payload.
Just in comparison to what the AV-8B carries payload vs. thrust, the Yak-41 might as well just be an airshow plane.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 19:58 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:
Well is the shape identical otherwise to the Yak 141 in FA? If so it is an easy fix to correct it by adding in Hawke's changes. I can do that via a comparison...

Hawke made the wing area trapezoidal. Also, the y141.pic in '97 does not match up with the y141.pic used in FA.

I guess what would need done is to take the Y141.SH from usnf97 and give it the trapezoidal wing. Then just recolor Y141.PIC.

I was really asking is the detailing of the shape the exact same? The older shapes usually are more limited, but not always. Like the AWACs with the rotating dish vs the fixed disk in FA....

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 20:00 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:

Hard agree on the Yak-38 it's garbage.

Yak-41 though didn't hurt for thrust.
- 2x lift turbojets giving them 9,400 lbf each
- main turbofan giving them 30,860 lbf of thrust in VTO mode
- 49,660 lbf when you add it all up - imagine wasting all that thrust?

Supposedly, LockMart was working with Yakovlev post USSR breakup to try to help them out - what with the JSF program going on ahead - and make the Yak-41 an aircraft it could be but I believe that fell apart probably because everyone was broke at that point in Russia.

Likely it would have bumped up the payload.
Just in comparison to what the AV-8B carries payload vs. thrust, the Yak-41 might as well just be an airshow plane.

Yak 41/141 still has the same problems of the Forger. It had dead weight of the 2 dedicated lift engines forward that do not contribute to forward flight and very small wings... Limits weapons load.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 22:58 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
I was really asking is the detailing of the shape the exact same? The older shapes usually are more limited, but not always. Like the AWACs with the rotating dish vs the fixed disk in FA....

To me, the '97 Yak-141 looks exactly like the FA Yak-141 (except for the afterburner).

I currently have the '97 Yak-141 undamaged shape/pic and the FA Yak-141 damaged shapes/pics. When the aircraft goes from undamaged to destroyed, it looks like the same aircraft (as in you cannot tell whether it was a '97 or an FA aircraft).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:12 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Yak 41/141 still has the same problems of the Forger. It had dead weight of the 2 dedicated lift engines forward that do not contribute to forward flight and very small wings... Limits weapons load.

Yeah it's like a T-Rex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 04:54 am 

usnraptor wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:

To me, the '97 Yak-141 looks exactly like the FA Yak-141 (except for the afterburner).

I currently have the '97 Yak-141 undamaged shape/pic and the FA Yak-141 damaged shapes/pics. When the aircraft goes from undamaged to destroyed, it looks like the same aircraft (as in you cannot tell whether it was a '97 or an FA aircraft).

Can you send them to me in an importable lib?

Original FA Yak-141 shapes and skins
97 Yak-141 shapes and skins
Hawk's F-35 Shapes and skins.

and I will see what I can do...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 am 

Yes. I need your e-mail address again. Mine is xxx.

UPDATE: [Link removed]
For the USNF97 Yak shape and pic, I renamed them X141.SH and _X141.PIC. The X needs to be reverted back to a Y in order for it to work in FA.

For the ATF libs, I still need your e-mail to send them to you (or anyone that wants them). The largest file is 44 MB. Many are below 13 MB. (Update: this offer is currently on hold).

Last edited by usnraptor on Thu Jan 13, 2022 16:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.