Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 09:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Editing Questions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 16:24 pm 

So my questions may make many of you shake your heads in disappointment. I am not very good at getting into the nitty gritty computer editing stuff (especially when you are working off a system that requires you turn windows explorer off just to play the game).

There are basically two things I want to do. The first is that I made a "Su-37" based off of the Su-35 profile in that little editor provided in the resource center. I gave it slightly stronger engines, and the weapons loadout I always go for. I did this all on a computer which has subsequently died (it was 10 years old). Recently, I thought it would be really cool to add an Su-37 with a black paintjob. and I was also wanting to make the flight more realistic, and the engines sound better.

Secondly I wanted to change the loadout for the F-18D. The reason being that I could add larger fuel tanks so I could run missions with an F-18 wingman and not worry about him running out of fuel.

Due to a mixture of limited knowledge and the fact that I am on windows 7, I have no clue how to do this myself.

If anyone is able to offer me info, provide links to information, or provide links to previously made libraries I would be most grateful!
thank you!

Post subject: Re: Editing Questions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 21:00 pm 

The Duosoft Fighters Anthology Toolkit should do most of the things you asked for:

Download this: http://farc.3synergy.net/misc/fatk.zip

and this: http://farc.3synergy.net/misc/fakey.zip

There are many libraries here: http://farc.3synergy.net/librarys.php

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 06:15 am 

this is part of my problem. I can't run the toolkit on this new computer! as far as I know you can't run it on windows 7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 06:59 am 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2051

So after many pointless hours searching it seems my dreams are doomed. This thread confirms the fact that I have no way of editing aircraft anymore. unless I purchased an older computer expressly for this.

I guess this leaves me to ask if there is anyone out there willing to make a library for me? hahahaha
it is a bitter sweet feeling watching a game you love slowly fade away as computers get more advanced.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 08:53 am 

If you like your old games that much, then buy/build an old computer. You can buy the parts relatively cheaply off ebay. All of my computer games are 1999 and older, plus my main computer (the one I'm using as I type this) is a Pentium III running Windows ME.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 15:25 pm 

ok, maybe I will do that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 18:41 pm 

If you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate edition you could try installing and using Microsoft's Windows 7 XP Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -windows-7

You could also try using other virtualization software to run the Toolkit. It will probably require that you have a CD or CD image of an older copy of Windows (98, ME, XP) to install into the virtualization environment. After installing the OS, the environment needs to be able to install Fighters Anthology and install and run the Toolkit. It doesn't matter if the environment can run FA because you will copy libraries you build back to your Windows 7 system to play the game. You could try Oracle's free VirtualBox software:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Here is a list of other options, you want something which matches your host OS (Windows) and guest OS (Windows), and is a non-proprietary (free) license:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... l_machines

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 02:13 am 

thank you, this sounds more feasible. I did try to run one of those on dos box in the past but could not seem to get it to work. Maybe i will have better luck with this program :D
thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 04:13 am 

ok I am having troubles.

So I downloaded the virtual box. Got it up and running.
Got windows 98
now I am having trouble because things are not clear. When I am setting things up general settings asks what my operating system is. Is it the windows 7 that I am currently running or is it the windows 98 that I am about to run? (i guessed windows 7)
I am running 512 ram; 11.98 gb memory; boot order CDrom, hard drive, floppy; and a ton of other shit I have no clue about.

When I try to run it, I get an error that says it does not contain a valid FAT of FAT32 partition (whatever that is)
and then it gives me a few things to try which I have no understanding of.

See why I suck at this?

Can you tell me what to do Zephyr?

I am getting so frustrated by this :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:26 pm 

Would it be easier if I built you the aircraft you want and e-mailed it to you? I can't do the coloring nor the flight envelope, but can do the rest (i.e. engines, weapons loadout, etc). I can also mix and match different aircraft schemes. example: if you want an SU-37 that flies like an F-16, has a weapons load of an A-7, and looks like an SU-35.

If so, be as specific as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 15:23 pm 

thank you USRAPTOR,
still screwing around trying to get windows 98 to run. right now it is looking hopeful. If I can't get it to work I will totally take advantage of you offer.
Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 21:08 pm 

You'll need to select the OS you want to run (Windows 98). You should have a prompt in Virtualbox to create a hard disk partition to install your OS to. Later, select the CD-ROM drive on your Windows 7 host computer from where you have the Windows 98 installation CD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 19:41 pm 

I got it all up and running, but the fa toolkit kept making the system crash. (i have subsequently given up. maybe I should leave this stuff to people who understand it)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 19:30 pm 

When would the FATK cause the system to crash? It usually runs fairly stable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 21:29 pm 

Fred, I just noticed the PM you sent and just now sent a reply (message shows it's still sitting in the outbox, whether that means anything). I'll make the F18, but I need your e-mail address to send the file to you.

Later,

usnraptor