Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 00:50 am 

Info
I know I've hinted at Iran: 1980 and Cuba: 1962 but both of those haven't progressed much. In the past few months (as you can see from my posts here), I've been going down a massive revamp of my Game Remod components. As it stands now, the Game Remod 2021 Repository stands at 1,881 record and it probably has a long way still to go. The purpose is to make a repository of all GR2021 components and then move them into and out of projects so that everything is standardized. This of course means I have to redo my Vietnam default campaign LIB I was working on and almost had finished (c'est la vie). In the meantime, I got the idea for this campaign and decided to throw some effort and weight into it as a way to test the new GR2021 system beyond testing a single component here and there as I make them.

Premise
The Eye of the Viper campaign is a fictional alt-history campaign set in the Baltic states in 2004. The premise is Russia is opposing NATO expansion and with the US & NATO engaged in Afghanistan and Iraq, they see an opportunity. You fly as a pilot in the 555th FS with the F-16C Falcon Block 42.

Background Situation
In February 1990, US Secretary of State James Baker met with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev concerning the topic of German unification and what that meant for NATO. The discussion of this meeting has remained a hotly contested topic since 1990 as it concerns the expansion of NATO into Eastern Europe. It is alleged in this meeting that Baker posed the following question to Gorbachev: "Would you prefer to see a united Germany outside of NATO, independent and with no U.S. forces or would you prefer a unified Germany to be tied to NATO, with assurances that NATO's jurisdiction would not shift one inch eastward from its present position?" It is alleged that Gorbachev's reply accepted the latter condition, confining NATO to its then present zone with a unified Germany and "not one inch eastward." Assurances may have been repeated in 1993 to then President Boris Yeltsin.

Regardless of what was said at these two meetings, NATO has expanded eastward. In 1997, discussions began with the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland regarding membership into NATO, immediately causing tension with Russia. On 12 March 1999, these three states joined NATO at a time when Yeltsin was at his weakest. Just two months later, on 15 May, Yeltsin survived another impeachment attempt and his tenure as President appeared to be waning. In August, the Second Chechen War erupted, and Russia found itself embroiled in yet another conflict in the Caucasus, though it would have much different results this time. On 31 December, Yeltsin would resign, appointing Vladimir Putin to be his successor. Relatively unknown up until this point, Putin would face a series of tests to his leadership as he took over a weakened and destitute Russia.

NATO expansion continued, however. In May 2000, the Vilnius Group was created, which included Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia. The purpose of this organization was to lobby NATO for membership, in what would represent the largest expansion of NATO since its inception in 1949. Russia immediately opposed and began to cite the 1990 and 1993 agreements, particularly with regards to the Baltic States, which had been directly within the borders of the Soviet Union. Historically, NATO considered these states to be Soviet-occupied rather than truly Soviet territory and the population agreed, remaining fiercely anti-Soviet until their independence.

With the ongoing conflict in the Caucasus and the threat of NATO expansion to the border of Russia, the Russian government has been fiercely vocal in its opposition to the Vilnius Group.

Current Situation
The Baltic states are only days away from joining NATO and all Hell has broken loose. Two days ago, groups linked to the Russian SVR launched violent riots in Vilnius opposing NATO membership. The governments of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania have requested that the upcoming Baltic Air Policing mission start sooner than its expected 30 March date. Unfortunately for the Baltic States, the Belgian Air Component and the Royal Danish Air Force are running into delays. As a result, the USAF has dispatched the 555th Fighter Squadron to Lielvarde Air Base and the US Army is preparing to dispatch a Patriot battery to Estonia.

The situation in Lithuania remains on edge though. Just yesterday, President Rolandas Paksas, in the midst of an impeachment scandal over links to the Russian mafia and an illegal decree granting Yuri Borisov citizenship in exchange for $400,000, was forced to flee the capital. His whereabouts have remained unknown since.

In response to the violence in Vilnius, NATO, the UN, the EU, and the governments of Estonia, Latvia, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia have all condemned the Russian government for their involvement in the violence in Vilnius. The Russian government has denied all involvement but intelligence reports that Russian Air Force units are moving westward to air bases near the Baltic states. In addition, units in Kaliningrad have gone to maximum readiness. NATO has declared an emergency and a rapid call up of forces is underway, though it is facing extreme difficulty with the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. The US is severely limited due to its significant troop presence in both countries.

The current situation in Lithuania is untenable. The government has collapsed and SVR-backed groups are all but in total control of the country and its military. The citizens of Lithuania have come out in massive protest against Russian involvement but have been largely silence due to the collapse of their government.

Development Progress
So far, the download below contains a mostly completed LIB and a single mission. There will obviously be more to come but I want to get this one out there now to let some people play around with it if they want.

Download
Download Link

Contents
  • EotV.LIB: The main LIB with the components to this campaign
  • EOTV01.M: Mission #1
  • EOTV01.MT: Mission Briefing #1
  • GR2021D.LIB: A LIB solely of OT files renamed & tweaked for GR2021 so that they sort nicely when you insert an object in PMC

Brass Tax
What you see is what you get so far on the contents. The LIBs are importable if you want to check them out and in the future, I'll also include the ITEM.DAT files so that you can actually see what things are without having to click on them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 00:36 am 

Mission #2 has been added.
Thus far the first two were made without any planning insofar as the campaign progression so they weren't too difficult, outside of getting the objects to behave how I wanted.
Download link is updated.

Contents
  • EotV.LIB: The main LIB with the components to this campaign
  • EOTV-ITEM.DAT: ITEM.DAT file for the EOTV LIB for your import if you want
  • EOTV01.M: Mission #1
  • EOTV01.MT: Mission Briefing #1
  • EOTV02.M: Mission #2
  • EOTV02.MT: Mission Briefing #2
  • GR2021D.LIB: A LIB solely of OT files renamed & tweaked for GR2021 so that they sort nicely when you insert an object in PMC
  • GR2021D-ITEM.DAT: ITEM.DAT file for the EOTV LIB for your import if you want

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:04 am 

Luckily this happened early on in the development but I realize that the project didn't have much direction mission-wise.
So I'm going to revamp the first missions - of which I only made 3.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 16:43 pm 

Okay the revamp of Missions 1 & 2 have been completed and Mission 3 has been redone and added.
I also fixed some issues with the airports. I made the STRIPxA OT objects as airports thinking you could do takeoffs either direction but it just caused issues. I also had to change the nationalities in the MM file due to the aircraft taxiing error (which I am still getting by the way).

Download
Download Link

Contents
  • LIBs
    • EotV v2.LIB: The main LIB with the components to this campaign
    • GR2021D.LIB: A LIB solely of OT files tweaked for the GR2021 damage system and renamed so that they sort nicely when you insert an object in PMC
  • DAT Files
    • ITEM-EOTV v2.DAT: ITEM.DAT file for the EotV v2 LIB
    • ITEM-GR2021D.DAT: ITEM.DAT file for the GR2021D LIB
  • Missions
    • EOTV01.M
    • EOTV01.MT
    • EOTV02.M
    • EOTV02.MT
    • EOTV03.M
    • EOTV03.MT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 00:25 am 

Mission #4 has been added. I haven't quite succeeded myself yet but that's all right I'll get it I'm sure.

Download
Download Link

Contents
  • LIBs
    • EotV v2.LIB: The main LIB with the components to this campaign
    • GR2021D.LIB: A LIB solely of OT files tweaked for the GR2021 damage system and renamed so that they sort nicely when you insert an object in PMC
  • DAT Files
    • ITEM-EOTV v2.DAT: ITEM.DAT file for the EotV v2 LIB
    • ITEM-GR2021D.DAT: ITEM.DAT file for the GR2021D LIB
  • Missions
    • EOTV01.M
    • EOTV01.MT
    • EOTV02.M
    • EOTV02.MT
    • EOTV03.M
    • EOTV03.MT
    • EOTV04.M
    • EOTV04.MT