Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 23:35 pm 

I just sent to Zephyr a revamped Ukraine Campaign. What started out as me wanting to permanently change the waypoints in the missions turned into a monster revamp that took a couple months. Unfortunately, I was unable to make the A-7s disappear from the selection (and forgot to mention it in the ReadMe.txt). The campaign is designed for F/A-18s, F-14s, and A-6s.

Excerpts from the ReadMe.txt:

This campaign replaces the original Ukraine Campaign. I painstakingly modified every mission to my liking. Almost all missions begin either on the carrier or behind a tanker. The year is changed to 1994 to align with the actual maiden voyage of the USS George Washington. The squadrons (most) you see in the missions are the ones assigned to Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7. Most of the surface ships were assigned to Cruiser Destroyer Group 2.

The included non-mission files are necessary in order to play the Ukraine Campaign. You are free to use my files or your own so long as you have files that match these names. Otherwise, you'll have to modify the missions/cam files in order to play.

This campaign was built using mostly original files from the game. Some of the files that I included in the zip file are planes/equipment/weapons/icons/shapes/textures that I have built or borrowed, and use on my game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 21:39 pm 

This campaign now available at the following location:

http://jkpeterson.net/fa/missions/Ukraine1994.zip

Thanks usnraptor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 01:43 am 

Nice job... 8)

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:51 am 

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 14:40 pm 

Keep up your excellent work...

Would you be willing to build a new campaign for FAF Korea?

I need to replace the default campaigns as they will not function correctly with the new libraries.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 01:42 am 

I'm sorry, but for the foreseeable future, I don't see that happening.

I have messed with trying to get fa futures working on my system in the past, but it would just CTD or hard crash.

My second lame excuse is life and time. I'd hate to say yes, then have you waiting 10 years for it. For the campaigns I've built, I spent roughly 6 hours per mission; for the modified default campaigns, about 3 hours per mission.

However, I tend to start having some available time in the winter months (no longer gardening nor skydiving). If you want, I could draft a campaign storyline and mission planning for you. Maybe even build the campaign the way I normally do, then you can get someone to convert it somehow. I can also amaturishly hex-edit the cam file for you.

I do want to ask you this though, do you think it is possible to go through the mission files (i.e. ~U01.M) and rename the objects to fit the names of your objects, or is FAF way too extensive to make that practical? As an example, when I updated my Israel campaign a few years ago, I went through all the mission files and renamed F15I.PT to F15E.PT.

Question for all: I have also modified the Baltic, Egypt, and Vladivostok campaigns in a similar fashion to Ukraine. Should I go ahead and post them (when time permits)? And posts seperately, or one big zip file?

Lastly, to everyone reading, the Ukraine zip has a file named ico2a6.pic. Can one of you graphics geniuses fix that icon so it looks right, and post it? I don't remember where I got it from (maybe back in the ATF days), but it would look cool if the colors worked properly.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 02:14 am 

UPDATE: I created my very first webpage ever. It is an FA dedicated site which has a link to an FTP folder with my files, and a few from others.

Included are the campaigns I mentioned above, and in the music folder are the files I use to play Sega Afterburner music in FA.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/

Does anyone want me to put links to their sites on my page?

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 02:02 am 

usnraptor wrote:
I'm sorry, but for the foreseeable future, I don't see that happening.

I have messed with trying to get fa futures working on my system in the past, but it would just CTD or hard crash.

My second lame excuse is life and time. I'd hate to say yes, then have you waiting 10 years for it. For the campaigns I've built, I spent roughly 6 hours per mission; for the modified default campaigns, about 3 hours per mission.

However, I tend to start having some available time in the winter months (no longer gardening nor skydiving). If you want, I could draft a campaign storyline and mission planning for you. Maybe even build the campaign the way I normally do, then you can get someone to convert it somehow. I can also amaturishly hex-edit the cam file for you.

I do want to ask you this though, do you think it is possible to go through the mission files (i.e. ~U01.M) and rename the objects to fit the names of your objects, or is FAF way too extensive to make that practical? As an example, when I updated my Israel campaign a few years ago, I went through all the mission files and renamed F15I.PT to F15E.PT.

Question for all: I have also modified the Baltic, Egypt, and Vladivostok campaigns in a similar fashion to Ukraine. Should I go ahead and post them (when time permits)? And posts seperately, or one big zip file?

Lastly, to everyone reading, the Ukraine zip has a file named ico2a6.pic. Can one of you graphics geniuses fix that icon so it looks right, and post it? I don't remember where I got it from (maybe back in the ATF days), but it would look cool if the colors worked properly.

Thanks.

Just an FYI but you have never had the current version of FA Futures on your system. The previous versions and errors have nothing in common with the current version.

If you change your mind let me know...

Thanks.

CAG out...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 02:03 am 

usnraptor wrote:
UPDATE: I created my very first webpage ever. It is an FA dedicated site which has a link to an FTP folder with my files, and a few from others.

Included are the campaigns I mentioned above, and in the music folder are the files I use to play Sega Afterburner music in FA.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/

Does anyone want me to put links to their sites on my page?

Enjoy!

Please link to vnfawing.com

I will add your page to the FA Resources page on my site as well.

Thanks!

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 02:26 am 

You got it, and thanks for linking me. If anyone else wants to link their FA page to mine, have at it.

I linked to vnfawing as well as farc and this forum (I hope Zephyr's OK with that), and a few others. I also uploaded some files I updated recently.

May 7: just finished updating the Fighters Anthology wikipedia page. I included the "As of 2016" and below entry, plus added my link and the link to this forum (I hope John approves).

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 01:15 am 

Updated my website with more links, some pictures, a couple videos (real-life Airwolf; me skydiving in 5-way -- I'm in jeans, blue helmet, and flight gloves), and stick death.

2018: these video have been removed.

Last edited by usnraptor on Mon Apr 16, 2018 23:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 23:31 pm 

Man, time flies by.

Reason for this bump is I just finished replaying my Ukraine Campaign 1994. I had noticed not long ago that the aircraft carrier is not turned into the wind on landing for these missions. So, that has now been fixed. There were a couple other missions with errors that are now corrected.

Lastly, the Readme.txt file has been modified slightly.

The updated campaign can be found here:
http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Campaigns/Ukraine.ZIP

Last edited by usnraptor on Thu Jan 13, 2022 22:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 18:36 pm 

Good work... How did you solve the carrier landing wind issue?

Thanks... :D

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 15:42 pm 

Upon landing (trapping) after each mission, I noted the direction the angled flight deck was facing, plus or minus 10 degrees.

To fix, open the .m mission file for each mission (i.e. ~U01.M).

On the 8th or 9th line, you'll see something like this: wind 120 10

The first number is the wind direction; the second is the wind speed.

If there is a negative number (i.e. wind -120 10), that means the wind is coming from 360 minus 120, which is 240 degrees.

I started the "carrier into the wind" with the Yankee Station 1964 campaign. One day, my son asked me to play Eviction Notice, the 1st mission from the Ukraine campaign (My son has been watching Damsonn on Youtube). Landing was quite a chore, so afterward, I checked the mission file and noticed the carrier was receiving either a crosswind or a tailwind.

So, that led to fixing the Ukraine campaign, again.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 02:01 am 

Very useful info there! :)

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website