Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 07:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VLS Missiles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 01:42 am 

All right so I'm really rusty!
I'm following my tips, I'm copying items from prior builds, I cannot get my Tico's to fire their SM-2s vertically.
I know I'm missing something but it's been about 3-1/2 hours and I can't find out what, even after comparing to items I know can launch vertically.
Does anyone see anything that I'm missing?

Same initial speed, power %, and ignition as other vertically launched missiles from past LIBs

Same FOV pitch from GR7

Turned into a gun based on an old tip on my site

Same settings as the Tico that works in GR7

The Tico's definitely shooting them just not vertically.

Post subject: Re: VLS Missiles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 14:09 pm 

Would having "Automatic Slewing Enabled" cause the missiles to not shoot off straight up? Could it be the slew limit pitch being 120?

I'm kinda guessing (hence the question marks), but that is where I'd start.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 21:11 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
Would having "Automatic Slewing Enabled" cause the missiles to not shoot off straight up? Could it be the slew limit pitch being 120?

I'm kinda guessing (hence the question marks), but that is where I'd start.

Same settings my ships had in GR7 - I had 90° first but then when I started comparing because it wasn't working I moved to 120°

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 01:54 am 

What exactly are the missiles doing? Are they firing horizontally?

On my vertical launched tomahawks my FOV Pitch and FOV Heading are both 180 on Range Parameters and Tracking Parameters.

And on my Hardpoint for vertical launch I dont have Automatic Slew enabled because I dont want the weapon itself to slew around I just want its seeker to... Slew Heading 0 Slew Pitch 90.

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 15:56 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
What exactly are the missiles doing? Are they firing horizontally?

On my vertical launched tomahawks my FOV Pitch and FOV Heading are both 180 on Range Parameters and Tracking Parameters.

And on my Hardpoint for vertical launch I dont have Automatic Slew enabled because I dont want the weapon itself to slew around I just want its seeker to... Slew Heading 0 Slew Pitch 90.

Yeah they're going off horizontally or like 30° up or wherever the plane is - let me try it again without slewing enabled and with this.
Scratching my head because it goes vertical on GR7 but not now with the same parameters.

FA is funny.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 20:22 pm 

Well by taking off the slewing, they will launch vertically. I even added some initial velocity and a 1 second delay on ignition to get more vertical.
Problem is now the TICO won't engage anything until it's super close and the missiles just miss entirely.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 00:55 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Well by taking off the slewing, they will launch vertically. I even added some initial velocity and a 1 second delay on ignition to get more vertical.
Problem is now the TICO won't engage anything until it's super close and the missiles just miss entirely.

That is probably due to limited FOV and Tracking on you missile. I noticed your FOV for tracking is very narrow on the missile itself. Your tracking on the missile is only 30 degrees *15 degrees per side) looking straight up which is where your missile is pointed. The target has to fly into that tight cone before the missile can track it... Also what is your detection and tracking FOV your ship mounted radar as you have it set that these missiles must be guided by launcher and the target doesn't enter the ship's FOV until its close... You have to have detection and tracking set far as well and allow slewing on the radar itself might help as well...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:05 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Centurian57_369th wrote:

That is probably due to limited FOV and Tracking on you missile. I noticed your FOV for tracking is very narrow on the missile itself. Your tracking on the missile is only 30 degrees *15 degrees per side) looking straight up which is where your missile is pointed. The target has to fly into that tight cone before the missile can track it... Also what is your detection and tracking FOV your ship mounted radar as you have it set that these missiles must be guided by launcher and the target doesn't enter the ship's FOV until its close... You have to have detection and tracking set far as well and allow slewing on the radar itself might help as well...

So I went to 180 heading and 180 pitch on both the search & tracking before this and that matches the seeker.
The seeker is a laser with 180/90 and the missile is active radar, launcher must use radar to guide, 180/90 search & track, same % across 0/25/50/100.
Seeker & weapon hardpoints have no slewing.

Just won't engage until the plane is almost right overhead and the ship turns to engage since I stopped "ordnance is a gun." Tried to do with gun and same deal just doesn't engage until it's overhead. Also can't get the darn thing to fire a Tomahawk. I'm just scratching my head why it won't go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 19:14 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:
Centurian57_369th wrote:

So I went to 180 heading and 180 pitch on both the search & tracking before this and that matches the seeker.
The seeker is a laser with 180/90 and the missile is active radar, launcher must use radar to guide, 180/90 search & track, same % across 0/25/50/100.
Seeker & weapon hardpoints have no slewing.

Just won't engage until the plane is almost right overhead and the ship turns to engage since I stopped "ordnance is a gun." Tried to do with gun and same deal just doesn't engage until it's overhead. Also can't get the darn thing to fire a Tomahawk. I'm just scratching my head why it won't go.

You need an onboard radar on the ship if you are going to make the missile "Guided by the Launcher" and "Must Use Radar to Guide" and you must make it the primary seeker... Cant use a laser for that.

"Launcher Must Use Radar To Guide" means you have to have a radar on the ship and it has to be capable of detecting and tracking the target and then guiding the missile... That means the missile does not have an onboard radar. SM-2s are like this but SM-6s have an onboard radar, but its only for terminal homing, like the AMRAAM...

The SM-6... ERAM

"The Standard ERAM is a two-stage missile with a booster stage and a second stage. It is similar in appearance to the RIM-156A Standard missile. The radar seeker is an enlarged version adapted from the AIM-120C AMRAAM seeker (13.5 in (34 cm) versus 7 in (18 cm)). The missile may be employed in a number of modes: inertial guided to target with terminal acquisition using active radar seeker, semi-active radar homing all the way, or an over the horizon shot with Cooperative Engagement Capability. The missile is also capable of terminal ballistic missile defense as a supplement to the Standard Missile 3 (RIM-161). Unlike other missiles of the Standard family, the Standard ERAM can be periodically tested and certified without removal from the vertical launching system."

What this means is if you want to emulate the terminal acquisition using active radar (SM-6) you need to remove the setting of launcher must use radar to guide and also must remove the Launcher must guide check above it as this missile is just like the AMRAAM and you should probably use the hack to make it perform like the AMRAAM and give no launch warning... If you are making the SM-2 just add a radar to your ship and leave those boxes checked for guidance....

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 19:16 pm 

I thought it was your sensor couldn't be the same as the guidance on the weapon?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 08:38 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
I thought it was your sensor couldn't be the same as the guidance on the weapon?

That has never been an issue in FA for SAMs. It might be for making ships engage each other or ground objects to engage ships, etc. But not for SAMs... All SA-2 sites have radars... You must put a RADAR on your ship if you check the LAUNCHER MUST USE RADAR TO GUIDE box... If your SAMs are not SARH then don't check that box. If they are SARH( which is what that box means) then you need a radar to illuminate the target for them to lock at the max range and you have to have the same % of hit capability for all ranges if you want the SAM to fire at long range. SAMs behave the same as AAMs..

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 13:37 pm 

All right wish me luck.
I've already fought with my snow blower this morning so let's see what luck I have here.

Nope - even worse results.
I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

So now the ship has a radar. It won't engage at all. When it had a laser it did engage.
Missiles are set to SARH too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 07:58 am 

When are you actually going to fix the FOV on the missile? 180/180... You still have everything set to 180/90... You also have the SAM missiles as secondary weapons so they are still trying to launch separately from the radar selected target. Also what did you base the ship radar off of? What radar? I would base it off the F-14's radar so you have the longest ranged A2A radar in the sim... I don't think FA allows a radar past 150 miles to guide missiles. But then again I have never tried it either...

Have you tried going back to a visual or laser seeker and dumping the launcher must use radar to guide box?

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 22:08 pm 

Man I think it's just busted.
Even 180/180 the ship just searches nothing. Went back to laser? Nothing.
Made a new SEE? Nothing.
Not a clue but either way even at 180/90 it won't work now and it used to work just not fire until straight up. Maybe I made too many edits.

Turned the Tico into a Mark 26 version instead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 02:16 am 

Geez... I don't know what to tell you... post the settings for your seekers... What are their FOV, etc...

If worst comes to worst I can send you my working VLS SAM if you want...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website