Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 06:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 04:39 am 

usnraptor wrote:
October 7, 2021

- USNRaptor Playset v 3.3 is now available (located in FA google drive). Remember, a change had been made last update to the .Lib file system (refer to June 12, 2021 update).

- Thanks to CAG Hotshot and months of dedicated, hard work using his magical shape & texture wizardry, Fighters Anthology now has a properly shaped MiG-19 Farmer. The texture being released now is an early, preliminary version. The final texture, along with its appropriate crash shapes, are currently being developed.

- The UH-1 'Huey' has finally arrived. It incorporates the UH-1 shape by CAG Hotshot and a texture blend of CAG Hotshot, USNRaptor, and default UH-60 graphics.

- The 1950s Russian IL-28 Beagle has been added. If it looks vaguely familiar, I used the E-2 shape / texture from USNF'97.

- The A-10 Thunderbolt II has received a major overhaul of its flight envelope and chaff / flare dispenser.

- The A-6 Intruders have received a performance upgrade. After recently reviewing the A-6 flight manual, the Intruders are now limited to 5g instead of 4g.

- The A-7A (A7V.PT) now has a new, classic look similar to the F-8 and A-6A.

- MiG-29 Fulcrum-C (Snow) is now MiG-29 Fulcrum-A with a gray camo top and a blue bottom. All MiG-29s now have the same "top-of-fuselage" engine intake graphic.

- Several aircraft have received changes in their chaff / flare numbers. As more (credible) information becomes available, more updates will be made.

- A Green camoflaged M-113 from USNF '97 has been added. A few other tanks have received custom green camo textures.

- A new map: the Open Ocean map. It is nothing but ocean. Top Gun and Scrambler missions have been converted to use the new map.

- For modders, the Layout of JT file.txt is now available. Basically, the .JT file has been mapped out.

- Finally, the link for CAG Hotshot's VNFA Wing Forum has been added to the Active Duty links list.

Excellent and thanks for all the kind words! :D

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 15:03 pm 

usnraptor

Just got my copy with new aircraft and repaints to vehicles.
I love the new Huey and MIG 19. :D

Keep up the good work!

Need me to take a new plane up for a spin, drop me a line.

Best Regards,
Pappy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 20:20 pm 

Pappy wrote:
usnraptor

Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
Pappy

That Huey repaint is 100% usnraptor... My Huey has a light grey modern skin and he built that new Vietnam Era skin from scratch...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 21:39 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Pappy wrote:
usnraptor

Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
Pappy

That Huey repaint is 100% usnraptor... My Huey has a light grey modern skin and he built that new Vietnam Era skin from scratch...

I started out trying to recolor CAGs gray UH-1 by matching his shade of gray with a matching shade of green. In fact, the nose, side cockpit door frame (maybe), and skids are done that way. Well, it doesn't take too long before losing track of what shade of green for gray was used.

So then, I popped up the default UH-60 and started "matching" those textures to similar spot on the Huey. The exhaust is even from the UH-60, but modified and moved a bit. The shape and luck played a big part in the look of the UH-60 working on the Huey.

The intake on the sides is from the top intakes from the MiG-29s. I think the side engine air vents are still CAGs. The guys in the doorway are definitely CAGs. And, most important, the shape is CAGs.

If I had to rely on my artistic painting, the UH-1 would be screwed. However, with copy/paste of other art, it came out pretty good.

And this simple retexturing took a hell of a long time. So, I can definitely appreciate the work all others have done to repaint & reshape aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 21:46 pm 

Pappy wrote:
usnraptor

The A-6, A-10, IL-28, and the UH-1 didn't get much of a shake down.

The A-10 in particular since it is a whole new flight envelope. The flight envelope of the IL-28 is based off the A-10 somewhat. In fact, my search for a flight envelope for the IL-28 lead me to scrutinize the default flight envelope of the A-10. So, the A-10 got redone, and the IL-28 was built soon after.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 02:36 am 

usnraptor wrote:
Pappy wrote:
usnraptor

The A-6, A-10, IL-28, and the UH-1 didn't get much of a shake down.

The A-10 in particular since it is a whole new flight envelope. The flight envelope of the IL-28 is based off the A-10 somewhat. In fact, my search for a flight envelope for the IL-28 lead me to scrutinize the default flight envelope of the A-10. So, the A-10 got redone, and the IL-28 was built soon after.

What shape did you use for the IL-28? I cant download your stuff until I finish the MiG-19...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:29 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
What shape did you use for the IL-28? I cant download your stuff until I finish the MiG-19...

I used the E-2 from USNF '97, then colored in some glass in the nose, the tail, and removed the windshield and installed a canopy on top.

I kept the general default paint scheme and added communists red numbers on the side. The propellers were removed and the engine intakes enlarged.

The radar dish is easy to remove in USNF '97. However, currently the crash shapes are default Fighters Anthology E-2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 18:50 pm 

usnraptor

I flew those planes, the A-6's flew great with great load out.

The A-10 was also a good flyer, I would replace some Mavericks with JDAMS for load out.
Why not a current grey paint job for the A-10.

The IL28 flew like a truck, just like a bomber.

I like the side gunners on the UH-1.

Other suggestions;
Rounded tail for AC-47 to omit the MADD tail.

Take MARINE off side of Cougar.

I have seen Jaguar shape used for A-5 shape instead of MIG-31.

Best Regards,
Pappy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 23:40 pm 

Thanks for the input, Pappy.

In regards to the A-10, since it is currently covering over 4 decades, I decided to load it with the older weapons only. The player can still use JDAMS on it.

If the need arises (or I split the Playset into different time categories) for an A-10A and -C, then the -C will receive newer weapons and a gray paint job. If Fighters Anthology didn't have the file limit, there would already be an A-10C.

I'm kinda split on the UH-1 door gunners. When defending itself, the UH-1flies all sorts of crazy. Rather entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 00:50 am 

usnraptor wrote:
Thanks for the input, Pappy.

In regards to the A-10, since it is currently covering over 4 decades, I decided to load it with the older weapons only. The player can still use JDAMS on it.

If the need arises (or I split the Playset into different time categories) for an A-10A and -C, then the -C will receive newer weapons and a gray paint job. If Fighters Anthology didn't have the file limit, there would already be an A-10C.

I'm kinda split on the UH-1 door gunners. When defending itself, the UH-1flies all sorts of crazy. Rather entertaining.

I've done that in my own things (split the A-10A & the A-10C) so I can cover the "old" vs "new" weapons loads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:10 am 

usnraptor

Further thought on IL-28, would this plane have wing hardpoints for addition ordinance?
It has a very small loadout in bomb bay.

Best Regards,
Pappy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:36 pm 

I don't think the Il-28 had any external pylons, it was all in the bay.
The closest I see is the Il-28Sh, which was just a demonstrator and not a production model.

http://www.airvectors.net/avil28.html

Quote:
In the late 1960s, there was some thought of converting old Beagles to a close-support configuration, what the Soviets called a "shturmovik (stormbird)". There was some thought of mounting a battery of unguided rockets with hollow-charge / anti-armor warheads in the bombbay, with the rockets firing nearly straight down, but the idea was scrubbed when it was realized that blasting off the rockets would render the aircraft uncontrollable for a short time -- big trouble when flying at low level.

Ilyushin Il-28 testbeds, Il-28Sh
A more conventional configuration was adopted instead, with an Il-28 fitted with twelve underwing stores pylons as a demonstrator and designated the "Il-28Sh", where the "Sh" of course stood for "Shturmovik". There were six pylons on each wing, five of them outboard of the engine and one inboard. The pylons could carry bombs, submunition dispensers, cannon pods, and particularly unguided rocket pods. For example, twelve 57-millimeter unguided rocket pods with 16 rounds each could be carried, giving an impressive warload of 192 rockets. Trials began in late 1967, demonstrating the aircraft's ability to carry a heavy warload and deliver it accurately at low altitude.

There were plans to convert up to 300 Il-28s to Il-28Sh standard, but then second thoughts set in. The Il-28 didn't have the armor needed to allow it to survive ground fire, and it also lacked low-level ejection seats. Apparently a few machines were converted, but saw no real service.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 14:31 pm 

Cent

Thanks for the research, it was interesting. :o

Best Regards,
Pappy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 16:25 pm 

Update: December 25, 2021

- The USNRaptor Playset v 3.4 has been struck by another thunderbolt; the A-10C Thunderbolt II that is. The new A-10C is sporting the markings of the 122nd Fighter Wing 'Blacksnakes'. The Litening Targeting Pod is permanently mounted on station 10 (does not appear on the player weapon load screen). This pod allows the player to deploy JDAM and laser-guided bombs. The default weapon load uses modern weapons; however, the player can still mount a wide variety of older weapons as before. Furthermore, the A-10C has datalink. To simulate this, hit Shift-R and Shift-G. The A-10A (A10.PT) no longer has its Infrared ability.

- The Ukraine Campaign is updated to v 3.4 standards. In addition, 5 .pic files were added for the campaign to change the aircraft carrier number to 73 from 69. A special .lib by Zephyr was added to remove the video sequences. See notes in Ukraine Campaign .zip file for more details.

- After 26 years of playing this series, it finally occured to me the airspeed displayed on the HUD is in knots indicated air speed (kias) as opposed to miles per hour (mph). If you notice slower speeds in aircraft, it may be due to this fact. The flight envelopes for the A-10, IL-28, MiG-25, and the P-3 have been changed to reflect this.

- Using actual flight manuals, the A-1E, A-1H, and A-37 have received major upgrades to their flight envelopes and weapon hardpoints. The old ones carried way too many weapons and flew rather crummy. The A-37 no longer has its Infrared ability.

- The A-6s have received another performance update to the flight envelope. After reviewing the chart, the A-6 can pull up to 6.5g with a symmetrical load, and 5.2g with an asymmetrical load.

- The IL-76 Mainstray (Air) is now labeled the A-50 Mainstray (Air). It is still IL76.PT, so no missions will be affected by this renaming.

- The F/A-18C has had its AIM-120 mount removed from the wingtips. The F-15E Sidewinder station has been divided in two to allow mixed load of AIM-9 and AIM-120 (this was listed in the flight manual). The F-14D has received a chaff / flare upgrade (AN/ALE-39 plus LAU-138).

- The GBU-12 (GBU29.JT) and GBU-12 Twin Pack (GBU29P.JT) have been added. The GBU-16 and -16T destructive power was underrated. That has been corrected.

- There have been a few link changes. The main change is the 'usnraptor ftp folder' has been moved into an http folder. The link is now labeled 'usnraptor FA folder'. Another big change is the addition of a link to Discord - Fighters Anthology. All are welcome to join and chat with other Fighters Anthology players/modders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 20:59 pm 

FYI on the IL-28... The NKs have updated theirs to carry 2 anti-ship missiles on pylons under the wings...

The missiles are based on the Styx Anti-ship missile.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/20 ... 44272.html

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next