Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 19:02 pm 

Has anyone successfully flown FA in Win10 with all the bells and whistles working?

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 23:25 pm 

Well I got pushed into Windows 10 here after some computer troubles with Windows 7 and my low tolerance for frustrating things that won't permit solving (plus it was getting tired playing whack-a-mole with MS on updates). I haven't tried it yet but do we have reason to believe it will run differently than on Windows 7? The only way I got it to run well enough to use - along with FATK - was in Virtual Machine running XP Pro.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 19:04 pm 

Yes because windows explorer doesn't operate the same way in Win10 as it does in Win7... and its now called FILE EXPLORER... In Win 7 if you interrupt Explorer with the fix it allows FA to run pretty well...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 23:47 pm 

Well I installed it and I don't see that ugly graphics issue I saw with Windows 7. I put in the 1.02 patch and the no-cd patch. On the first try it ran fine but when I ended the mission it went to a black screen and hung. On the second try it would not start. I changed to XP Compatibility with SP2 and it ran fine and exited the mission fine. FATK will NOT even install! That's a bummer. If anyone finds out how to get it to install (Windows 10 physically won't allow it) then let me know. I'd rather do that than run VMWare. Now not only would FATK not install but I also copied over an installation backup and it still won't run. Windows 10 basically says "This app cannot run on this PC."

So this FATK problem might be because it is a 16-bit program. Windows 10 64-bit has NO and I repeat NO support for 16-bit. You have to install 32-bit W10 for it, which I won't be doing.

I still have VMWare Player installed so I am going to try running the FATK in VMWare (it works FYI) and then playing the game in Windows 10.

Maybe that won't be so bad?

On the plus side - as much as I am not a fan of Windows 10 (because it restricts you from doing almost everything) the conversion from Windows 7 to Windows 10 did not require me to reinstall many programs (which is amazing really). No reformat required.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 02:11 am 

Just to side track a bit.

I notice some of you guys out there are still using the no-cd patch. Have you thought of using a vitual clone drive? I've been using it for a few years (granted on my WinME system) and it works great. I get all the cd features without having to load the cd.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 13:43 pm 

Two updates:

1) I played it for hours yesterday (I basically went to bed at 04:00) and it was very stable running on XP Compatibility Mode SP2
2) If you use VMWare Workstation Player and install VMWare tools you can run FATK in an XP shell there and just copy the LIBs from the XP shell onto your W10 drive and it's frankly VERY easy (easier if you have dual monitors like I have)

usnraptor wrote:

I notice some of you guys out there are still using the no-cd patch. Have you thought of using a vitual clone drive? I've been using it for a few years (granted on my WinME system) and it works great. I get all the cd features without having to load the cd.

I mean honestly you could install Daemon Tools Lite for free and run an ISO there and not need the no-cd patch. I guess you could call it force of habit.

Prognosis: Game Remod Reloaded is still on :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 21:42 pm 

usnraptor wrote:

Well for FA Futures you have to use it because the CDs contain libs that are much changed in FA Futures...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 21:43 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Two updates:

1) I played it for hours yesterday (I basically went to bed at 04:00) and it was very stable running on XP Compatibility Mode SP2
2) If you use VMWare Workstation Player and install VMWare tools you can run FATK in an XP shell there and just copy the LIBs from the XP shell onto your W10 drive and it's frankly VERY easy (easier if you have dual monitors like I have)

usnraptor wrote:

I mean honestly you could install Daemon Tools Lite for free and run an ISO there and not need the no-cd patch. I guess you could call it force of habit.

Prognosis: Game Remod Reloaded is still on :)

Thanks Cent this is what I wanted to know! Now I can do some testing online with Duke in Win10 and see if multiplayer works as well...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 am 

Been playing FA on Win10 and noticed a few bugs. I can't get the cockpit image to appear inflight after pressing backspace at all. Also, FA gameplay stretches across my entire monitor instead of compressing to a more standard definition setup like I've seen in some older games. Not sure if these two issues are linked or if there is a way to play in a windowed setup instead of full-screen.
Been playing using compatibility mode with WinXP SP2 also.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:41 am 

Kai wrote:
Been playing FA on Win10 and noticed a few bugs. I can't get the cockpit image to appear inflight after pressing backspace at all. Also, FA gameplay stretches across my entire monitor instead of compressing to a more standard definition setup like I've seen in some older games. Not sure if these two issues are linked or if there is a way to play in a windowed setup instead of full-screen.
Been playing using compatibility mode with WinXP SP2 also.

I haven't tried backspace myself because I don't usually fly with the cockpit engaged but I'll check it out and see if I can verify it. As for the monitor setup, that could do with your setup. I'm running dual monitors here and I only runs on Monitor 1 in full-screen mode with no distortion. It basically brings it down to 1024x768. The intro is odd because it's 640x480 but that's a blip really.

I'll get some screenshots next time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 16:29 pm 

Keep in mind that the cockpit will only display if game settings resolution is 800 x 600 or less.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 17:15 pm 

This is a 23" monitor:

Game resolution is set to 1024x768

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am 

Thanks on the resolution. I was running at 1024x768 on a 23" monitor. Switched it to 800x600. Still wish there wasn't such a lag between going from the menu to ingame because of the resolution shift but whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:48 am 

Kai wrote:
Thanks on the resolution. I was running at 1024x768 on a 23" monitor. Switched it to 800x600. Still wish there wasn't such a lag between going from the menu to ingame because of the resolution shift but whatever.

Yeah that lag is a pain! And if you accidentally click off screen it just crashes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 22:33 pm 

usnraptor wrote:

It wont work for me because I use a modified version of those lib files in FA Futures so running a virtual clone of the cd is a no win.

FA Futures does use a higher graphics level in the GUI (1024x768) so it should be a faster start from the high res menu to the high rez game set...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website