Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 19:59 pm 

FA doppler RADAR settings, has anybody really figured this out? I can get it to screen out slower targets but thats about it. I dont believe the "help" files in TK are correct.

Let your anger be like the monkey which hides inside the piniata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 00:09 am 

OK after about 9 hours of testing and fooling with these settings I think I know this much. this is for a radar (the F15R) set for pulse doppler
    "speed above" seems to be a velocity filter, the lower you set it the slower the target aircraft can fly and still show up in a head on attack, when set to 24 an aircraft coming at you at 200kts doesnt show up(the piloted plane is moving at 400kts and the closure rate seems to mean nothing at all to these settings)
    The only other thing I noticed for sure is that if you set the "minimum range" to 25(and apparently ONLY 25) then an aircraft flying slow enough to not show up on RARAR will "burn through" about 5 miles away, other wise they never show.

One nice thing I noticed is that RCS seems to mean nothing to the settings, I tested at first with other F-15s with an RCS set to 100, then began adding and mixxing in other aircraft such as SU-27 with an RCS of 80 and a B-52 with an RCS of 200, all at different altitudes and speeds, and speed makes a MUCH larger difference to these settings than the alt(unlike what the "help" files would lead you to believe).

The bad things are that, once you've got a lock with a weapon , then you got your lock even if the plane falls off your RADAR(this was with AMRAAMS, SARH missles may have a problem). Also, in combat it tends to make no differance because once engaged of course the enemy turns toward you so the "notching" effect never comes into play except while searching for aircraft.

If you use these settings "speed above-24, speed below-10,minimum range-25, with aspect and look down set to 0, you'll get head on attacks above 200kts will show (but not below, makes huntin helos VERY tough LOL) angled flights will show, but crossing or "beaming" aircraft will dissapear as they cross your nose, up untill they are 20 miles or so away.

If you play with the "aspect" numbers you can get a plane to dissapear as it comes at you but re-appear as it turns and runs away(unfortunatly this is EXACTLY the wrong thing for a doppler RADAR).

I aint done with this yet (plus I got some cool RWR/LOCK and explosion sounds LOL) but I have a feeling this doppler stuff will be more frustration than benifit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 01:48 am 

Vark toyed with this...So what does this all mean Mr. Kaptor cuz thats all mumbo jumbo...then again my head is all cluttered after fianls.

For all your FA needs and Game Remod 6 visit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 04:37 am 

no it's not your head dude it IS mostly mumbo jumbo, I think we can get it to work SOMETHING like true doppler, but like I said it all goes out the window when the fight starts LOL . It is kinda cool watching the planes appear and dissapear though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 04:50 am 

Now when they appear and disappear with AA-12s and AA-10Cs coming at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:09 am 

Kap, I hate to add another "monkey to the wrench", but have you checked the performance of the air to ground radar with the new doppler changes?

See this post by me on the old FARC board...

http://users.boardnation.com/~zephyr106 ... readid=208

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 16:03 pm 

lol WELL OF COURSE NOT lol I havent even looked at it cause i just wanted to understand the settings more, wouldent be a bit surprised if it totaly screwed up the AG mode because of the "speed filter". I'll goof with it more and see if anything usefull comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 20:38 pm 

Kap, any updates on this? Its a truly important subject for the realism improvement of FA...

ANything new to report in on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 23:13 pm 

havent been able to do much , cause of this "virus"(I think it's NOT a virus now) stuff, every time I try to type in FA I have to fight a bunch of mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms getting in the way!!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:42 pm 
KAP, that sounds like a stuck key problem with your KB or KB controller..

Hey, any more news on the doppler effects?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 13:49 pm 

it was a software problem with my X-45, took a lot of registry hacking to get rid of it, but all is well.

On an entirely different subject, would anyone want an MTI radar for FA? Not just an AG radar only, but a true Moving Target Indicator radar, Cause I was running one last night hee hee. What about an Air to Air only radar? also no problem. Finaly able to shake loose some time yesterday and am starting to get this worked out. Should have some goood stuff later this weekend or early next week.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 16:25 pm 

KAPTOR wrote:
it was a software problem with my X-45, took a lot of registry hacking to get rid of it, but all is well.

On an entirely different subject, would anyone want an MTI radar for FA? Not just an AG radar only, but a true Moving Target Indicator radar, Cause I was running one last night hee hee. What about an Air to Air only radar? also no problem. Finaly able to shake loose some time yesterday and am starting to get this worked out. Should have some goood stuff later this weekend or early next week.

What about like a radar that can see 360 degrees that has a limited range that will be used to direct traffic on and off a carrier (i.e. like a control tower). That would prove very, very useful to me. That and an AWACS style but these have to be in the grounds of World War II era.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 22:50 pm 

lol well...actually I guess you could do it by making a "vehicle" (from a PT of course) give it a structure shape and then just spin around like a tank turning in it's treads to simulate a sweeping radar. I dont know how else you could do it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 09:08 am 

maybe by making really sensitive RWR for a tower vehicle? You wouldn't be able to log on but you'd be able to see general targets. Would actually simulate ATC radar very well. To simulate Squawking the aircraft would lock onto the target presenting a more firm target because of increased rwr.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 13:35 pm 

KAPTOR wrote:
lol well...actually I guess you could do it by making a "vehicle" (from a PT of course) give it a structure shape and then just spin around like a tank turning in it's treads to simulate a sweeping radar. I dont know how else you could do it.

That was my idea as well I was just curious if you could make a 360 degree radar so that it wouldn't have to turn (would look funny if a carrier tower was turning lol) if not I can just make it invisible....