Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 07:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 05:00 am 

USNRaptor is there a way to display a map destroyed map item? Like a destroyed hangar or a destroyed ship, from one mission to the next? Say if you were in a campaign and hitting a naval base the ships destroyed from the previous mission could be displayed in the harbor as destroyed without having to created a specific item using a destroyed shape? Any item code you could put into play for such things and for, perhaps, changing the nationality of a default map item so if you occupy the enemy area on the map it will change the airbases to your side's owner ship? Figure I would ask you as you are the resident campaign expert and I know nothing about them...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 21:48 pm 

If it's any item that remotely resembles the destroyed items in the game, I'll use the destroyed shapes (accessible from the hidden menu).

For other items, such as ships, in the following missions, I will have the item re-attacked before the player gets there.

For default items, especially airports, the best thing to do is overlay the item with an identical item on the exact same spot. The easy way to do this is dig into the .MM file, copy the location and bearing of the item, and paste that location to the replaced item. This saves you time by not having to do it in the game and trying to "line up" the item via eyeball.

For 3D items (i.e. Bridges), this trick may not work. Instead, the game will stack the items on top of each other.

Be advised, with using the "friendly sides" menu, your aircraft may still not land on the now-friendly airport. I ran into this problem with the Baltic - USSR campaign. To fix, I had to overlay a friendly airport.

Another option is to create several maps showing the progress of taking territory. Just make a copy of the .MM file, rename it, go thru it using Wordpad, and change Nationalities that way. You can also add and remove items as well. IF you chose this option, do it BEFORE building missions. Otherwise, you may run into problems with two items sharing the same Alias number.

The last few campaigns I built, I kept a list of scenery items I often used in a text file. This way, I could copy/paste the items into the .M file. This trick saves a ton of time. Likewise, as in the case with my Vietnam map, I find it best to delete many of the default items off the map.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Maps/Vietnam%20Scenery.txt

Be sure to check out the tips in my http FA folder:
http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Misc/

If I haven't been clear, or didn't answer a question, feel free to ask.

Last edited by usnraptor on Tue Dec 07, 2021 01:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 21:24 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
If it's any item that remotely resembles the destroyed items in the game, I'll use the destroyed shapes (accessible from the hidden menu).

For other items, such as ships, in the following missions, I will have the item re-attacked before the player gets there.

For default items, especially airports, the best thing to do is overlay the item with an identical item on the exact same spot. The easy way to do this is dig into the .MM file, copy the location and bearing of the item, and paste that location to the replaced item. This saves you time by not having to do it in the game and trying to "line up" the item via eyeball.

For 3D items (i.e. Bridges), this trick may not work. Instead, the game will stack the items on top of each other.

Be advised, with using the "friendly sides" menu, your aircraft may still not land on the now-friendly airport. I ran into this problem with the Baltic - USSR campaign. To fix, I had to overlay a friendly airport.

Another option is to create several maps showing the progress of taking territory. Just make a copy of the .MM file, rename it, go thru it using Wordpad, and change Nationalities that way. You can also add and remove items as well. IF you chose this option, do it BEFORE building missions. Otherwise, you may run into problems with two items sharing the same Alias number.

The last few campaigns I built, I kept a list of scenery items I often used in a text file. This way, I could copy/paste the items into the .M file. This trick saves a ton of time. Likewise, as in the case with my Vietnam map, I find it best to delete many of the default items off the map.

ftp://ftp.frontier.com/pub/users/usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Maps/Vietnam%20%20Mission%20Scenery.txt

Be sure to check out the tips in my ftp folder:
ftp://ftp.frontier.com/pub/users/usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Misc/

If I haven't been clear, or didn't answer a question, feel free to ask.

Yes I know and do most of that stuff already. I was just wondering if the campaign engine would do it for you or not... Guess our old game is just not advanced enough to take care of these things in its campaigns. Thanks for the tips and info though as I am sure I will learn a new trick or two from them!

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...