Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Remod to Return
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 08:31 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
An FYI on your Sparrow missile, in light of what else you posted about your missiles... Sparrows were never out maneuvered by enemy aircraft. They had excellent instantaneous and sustained turn rates due to their large fins and high (Mach 2.5 to Mach 4 depending on the version) speeds and the fact they homed in on the reflected radar energy from a lock on against the target. However those big fins could work against them at long ranges as they caused much drag and could make it difficult to hit highspeed inbound targets from a distance as the Sparrow would run out of energy and be unable to make the last minute adjustments to its flight path to make the Interception... However that was in a very very small % of shots as most kills required visual ID on the target before missile launch and it was only late in the war when the US began reading NVAF IFF to determine targets were MiGs to allow BVR engagements... In the vast majority of short range engagements Sparrows only missed if they were fired from outside proper parameters, failed completely due to bad reliability and handling in the humidity and heat of Southeast Asia, or if the MIG managed to break the radar lock before the Sparrow got there. If the Sparrow worked right, and it was fired correctly within parameters, it would always kill the target... MiGs could only out maneuver the AIM-9Bs, and Ds due to the limited ability of the IR homing head to keep a lock on a high G maneuvering target. Generally if the MiG pulled over 5 Gs the Sidewinder would be defeated by the turn. The later E, G & J versions was little better.

Yeah I need to go back and revisit my AIM-7E-2 but given all that I've been going through here that is a given. It's a shame there was never an "unreliability" factor given how many AIM-7s just fell off the rail and did nothing or just flew off wherever it wanted. And yes by all means they were better than the AIM-9B not much was worse except the AIM-4Ds. The AIM-9D was a huge improvement all around and the G even more of an improvement, makes sense why the L/M followed the G/H development lineage versus the E/J. The AIM-9B would only do +10g at sea level and only burned for 2.2 seconds plus a slow seeker with a low gimbal limit. Too easy to evade, you don't even need flares. At least with the D that increased to a 5 second burn with +18g at sea level and a wider gimbal limit. The best improvement on the E was the cooling on the seeker and a slightly higher tracking rate with a wider gimbal. Engine was the same so you didn't gain on maneuverability but you did gain on the seeker's shortcomings. The J was like eons better than the E because though you had the same rocket you had a much faster seeker tracking rate and they changed the canards so you went from +11g on the E to +22g, which was higher than the D/G/H that remained at +18g. Though the tracking rate on the H was higher than the J. Push comes to shove, the H and the J took a long time and a lot of trial and error to get there but if you got a tone on either you were probably getting a kill, it's just a shame they came so late in the war. If we'd have done any combat post Vietnam but before the "L" came into service it would have been a very different story, especially with the improved F-4 variants, the F-14A with the AIM-7E-4 and the AIM-54A. Without flares, outmaneuvering or breaking the lock on the H & J would have required "some real pilot shit" to paraphrase young Goose.

I think overall I have the right seeker settings. What I need to refine now are the maneuverability settings. I think my missiles are more agile than they are IRL since I've just been taking their maximum G and putting that in both powered & unpowered. I'll obviously be refining that down and not keeping them the same. Combined with the performance limitations and these hit modifiers, I think I can work out some decent applications on the missiles. I think they're probably "too easy" right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 00:49 am 

Don't forget to limit the seeker head's field of view to that appropriate to the missile version... That will help with emulating the limited G capacity of the seeker head vs that of the missile body and fins...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:06 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Don't forget to limit the seeker head's field of view to that appropriate to the missile version... That will help with emulating the limited G capacity of the seeker head vs that of the missile body and fins...

Oh yeah surprisingly that's actually not been too hard to find online so that was a nice add.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 00:29 am 

All right here's a little "flavor" (ignore the shitty AIM-9D/G/H icons).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ql6ic2n29hjo ... s.LIB?dl=0

Basically just a shit load of AIM-9 variants.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 01:09 am 

Progress Update:

I've largely completed the repository (insofar as it is for now). I'll add things as I go along and build more campaigns and sets but the bulk of it is done. That means I was able to repopulate the first of the "Default Campaign Remods," which is Vietnam. That campaign remod is done(ish) and it is available below. I'm working on some SP missions (10 missions) and then a fictional "Return to Vietnam" (1975) campaign where you get to fly F-14As (because why not), F-4Ns, A-6Es, and A-7Es (10 - 15 missions tops).

Download link

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 16:52 pm 

Keep up the good work Cent!

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 23:09 pm 

Okay I posted this over to VNFAWING while Zephyr was down so I'm going to add it here just to keep it at both places.

Game Remod Preview Available
Quote:
So I finally have gotten to a point where I can release a preview of what I've been working on for GRX.

GRX is set out to be the total remod that other GRs were but I'm taking a different approach for this one. Instead of having one "try to do it all LIB" I'm focusing on individual campaign/project LIBs. I am however, making a single, centralized repository of all of my modded aircraft, weapons, vehicles, et cetera, which I then move in and out of each project/campaign LIB. The goal? Consistency!

So I decided to make a little preview for it. This mods just the objects in the game and though I did make a few adds (Alarm, Brimstone, GBU-12, et cetera) this is largely true to what the game has as default. It's a little preview that you can use to play single missions, quick missions, and even campaigns (note: I haven't done full testing on quick missions or campaigns so if you see bugs shout them out to me). There's some work still to be done (I want to get back all of the ECM pods and I have 2 of 4 so far) but it's largely ready for people to enjoy if they want.

Google Drive Link

The ZIP has the GRXA00.LIB [main lib], GRXA01.LIB [OT objects only], and Ukraine video fix LIB that someone made once upon a time. There's no instructions or anything yet but I did include the readme for the two GR LIBs.

The file has been updated with some fixes.

A new version is now available after a request to edit the default CAM files.

I also changed the default loadout of the Eurofighter to include the ASRAAM and Brimstone as default but I left the AIM120 for now instead of the Meteor.

Game Remod Status Update
Quote:
All right I'm making a single thread for all GRX stuff [excluding project releases and that sort of stuff]. It's just a general thread to track everything that's going on for GRX and to summarize what has been and hasn't been accomplished.

First let me explain what the differences are between the Preview release and the specific Campaign releases are.

The Preview Release is just that, a preview to what GRX is. The good thing is you can play it as if you were playing default FA, just with the modified PT, JT, NT, et cetera.

The Campaign Release is a much more in-depth release, specifically tailored to that campaign/era. For example, with the Vietnam Campaign, I have included USAF jets, older weaponry and jets, and I am working on some custom SP missions that you can fly highlighting some famous missions. Now many of these may have been done already by other modders but that is okay, nothing is a direct copy and I am looking to make them as realistic as possible, FA's limitations notwithstanding. These can also be used by other modders / players to make their own custom missions and/or campaigns.

Other things that will be available will be the entire project folder for the repository so that - if you want - you can put them into your own FATK and use them at will. Everything in them will either be made by me or contributions from other modders through my age old Shapes & Skins Repository or Icon Repository or allowed for us with permission. A lot of the older stuff I will have a hard time crediting but I will definitely work to try to find out who made what. Push comes to shove, anything graphical won't be by work (skins, camos, icons) because I am not skilled in this department.

• Lite LIB (formerly Preview LIB)
    • Version: 1.015 [02-OCT-22 - 01:41 EDT]
    • Download Link: Google Drive Link
    • Comments: Still a little work to do, see thread.
  • Vietnam Campaign
    • Version: N/A
    • Download Link: N/A
    • Comments: For the most part the default campaign is done but still some tweaking to do on the SP missions and some custom missions I am making for this set.
  • Kurile Campaign
    • Comments: Was closest to being done of any other default campaigns but needs some rework
  • Ukraine Campaign
    • Comments: I did some initial work on this but didn't get too far
  • Egypt Campaign
    • Comments: Nothing started on this yet
  • Russia Campaign
  • Baltics Campaign
  • Cuba 1962
    • Synopsis: The US chooses to invade Cuba in 1962 as part of the Cuban Missile Crisis but I keep it conventional for the sake of having some challenge.
    • Comments: This was started before GRX so it needs massive rework to align it to the GRX standard.
  • Iran 1980
    • Synopsis: This is during the Iranian Hostage Crisis set in an alternate timeline where the Iranians execute some hostages followed the failure of Operation Eagle Claw. The US military responds with punishing strikes against the Iranian government and military as a result.
    • Comments: This was another one that was started before GRX so it also needs a lot of work to align it to the GRX standard but unlike Cuba, it wasn't nearly as far along so it might be easier to simply restart this one rather than try to fix it. A lot of this is actually based on some plans that the military had made during the crisis. Push came to shove, they were too fearful that if they acted militarily, the Iranians would simply execute the hostages. What if the Iranians did it though? That would have forced the hand of the US and we would have certainly responded in kind. [Side Note: There's an interesting tidbit from Bowden's book where we were going to ask an Iranian diplomat to come to the White House and let him watch as B-52s obliterated oil facilities until they released hostages - but it was ruled out out of previously mentioned execution fears.]
  • Eye of the Viper
    • Synopsis: This is set in 2004 Baltics and features NATO fighting a Moscow-supported Belarusian invasion of Lithuania in an attempt to prevent the other Baltics states from joining NATO. It's set with some historical basis on the role of NATO expansion post Cold War and Russia's complaints on it. It also features some "alternate reality" with the Belarusian military being in much better shape than it was in 2004 [though with the same equipment #s they had].
    • Comments: This is actually very far along and well developed but I'm struggling through some mission making, it turns out I made a few too hard for the limitations of FA's AI.

Code:
[list]
[*][b]TITLE[/b]
[list]
[*][u]Status[/u]:
[*][u]Version[/u]:
[*][u]Download Link[/u]:
[*][u]Comments[/u]:
[/list][/list]

Known Issues
Quote:
A running tally of known issues and whether or not they've been fixed.

• CBUs too weak against armor (Completed)
  • Storm Shadow hits terrain [check other CMs] (Completed)
  • Review & align on AShM damages (Completed)
  • Are CBUs really completed? Need testing (Completed)

Last edited by Centurian57_369th on Sun Oct 02, 2022 01:48 am, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 01:08 am 

--

Last edited by Centurian57_369th on Sat Mar 12, 2022 20:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 13:02 pm 

Been enjoying the updates.

Out of curiosity, are there other newer generation missiles and craft being added to this mod ie, AIM-120D, AGM-84K SLAM-ER, AGM-158 JASSM, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 13:40 pm 

Kai wrote:

Out of curiosity, are there other newer generation missiles and craft being added to this mod ie, AIM-120D, AGM-84K SLAM-ER, AGM-158 JASSM, etc?

There are some yes: Storm Shadow, Brimstone, Meteor, IRIS-T, JASSM, JSOW. I didn't go too far though because I didn't intend on adding much to the Lite version, just enough to make it playable with what's there so the AIM-120 is the C-5 and the SLAM is the AGM-84E. Other versions built on the base though will have period-specific weaponry.

Also fun fact, you don't need "IN RANGE" on the JDAM to drop and hit the target, just need to be within ~15 nm. The seeker will acquire and find the target pretty good so you can basically level drop from high altitude - very helpful on B-2 missions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 06:56 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Kai wrote:

There are some yes: Storm Shadow, Brimstone, Meteor, IRIS-T, JASSM, JSOW. I didn't go too far though because I didn't intend on adding much to the Lite version, just enough to make it playable with what's there so the AIM-120 is the C-5 and the SLAM is the AGM-84E. Other versions built on the base though will have period-specific weaponry.

Also fun fact, you don't need "IN RANGE" on the JDAM to drop and hit the target, just need to be within ~15 nm. The seeker will acquire and find the target pretty good so you can basically level drop from high altitude - very helpful on B-2 missions.

How are you emulating GPS guidance on the JDAM?

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:03 am 

I made the guidance active radar with a 120x180 seeker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 20:39 pm 

Build v.1.007 is ready

• Fixed R-27ET Alamo-D (it had IR selected but it still had radar guidance required)
  • Changed F-22 chaff/flare load
  • Adjusted damage for the AGM-84D, AGM-84E, and the AM-39
  • Enhanced bomber targeting with JSTARS capabilities
  • Fixed Tu-160 to have bomb bays and not the ability to takeoff from ships
  • Egypt campaign playthrough completed and mission edits made

Download here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 20:45 pm 

Because of a major issue with the SLAM, I had to power through and get an update. Since I was also powering through the Russia campaign, I rolled that into this update.

Build v.1.008 is ready

Update Log
  • AGM-84E SLAM corrected so it won't explode on launch
  • Russia campaign playthrough completed and mission edits made
  • Fixed R-27ET Alamo-D (it had IR selected but it still had radar guidance required)
  • Changed F-22 chaff/flare load
  • Adjusted damage for the AGM-84D, AGM-84E, and the AM-39
  • Enhanced bomber targeting with JSTARS capabilities
  • Fixed Tu-160 to have bomb bays and not the ability to takeoff from ships
  • Egypt campaign playthrough completed and mission edits made
  • F-4 Phantom II inner wing pylons to 5000#
  • Corrections to the F-14 pylon loadings
  • Jiangchu-II "Typoe" spelling error corrected to "Type"
  • SA-6 Gainful missile range corrected from 3.5nm to 13.5nm
  • ASRAAM added
  • MiG-21bis center pylon weights corrected and Kh-23 capability added

Download here

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 02:20 am 

What exactly do you mean by "Enhanced bomber targeting with JSTARS capabilities"...

I thought any human controlled aircraft could link to the JSTARs feed with the proper command?

Or do you mean that the bombers themselves will have the ability to project JSTARs information without a JSTARs in the Mission itself?

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next