Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 03:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Remod to Return
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 04:53 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
I'm getting a lot of info from either Wiki or those old Janes entries.
I can't find much data on US stuff but I can on Russian.

Also I have decided on my Easter egg to include.

I have some Jane's Airborne Weapons Annuals if you want me to look anything up for you. It might have newer data than what is available on the VNFAWING forums, depending on the weapon...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:51 am 

I'll keep that in mind.
I will say the info you have aged decently well in the past 10 - 15 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 01:37 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
I'll keep that in mind.
I will say the info you have aged decently well in the past 10 - 15 years.

Yes its all nicely vintage now, like a good bottle of red wine... :mrgreen:

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 09:46 am 

Update: Vietnam Component

Finally finished the play through of the Vietnam campaign with the beta GR v.8 (or whatever I'm going to call it)
Going to release a beta for people to play with tonight
I changed some of the ordnance available to the player as well as removed the F-4B from the aircraft selection in favor of the A-7E
So you can fly A-7E, F-4J, F-8J
I left the AIM-9D as the primarily IR AAM (for now) [even though a lot of AIM-9Gs by 1972] and the AIM-7E-2 has been added (some missions it's really good some missions it's worthless - goes for both weapons, maybe some random game dynamics)
Added in a few different bombs (CBUs and more MK 80 options) as well as gave the player the ability to fire the Walleye and the Standard ARM
Now in the campaign you get to go up against MiG-21F-13, MiG-21PF, MiG-21PFM, MiG-21MF and MiG-17F of course
There might still be some tweaks - like where the game just lets the E-2C fly around SAM infested areas and it just gets shot down - been trying to tweak those missions to make the E-2 non-targetable.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 18:47 pm 

Here's a link to the beta of the Vietnam LIB for GR 8.

It's just the LIB (importable) and 0.98MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/umy2w9bgqjjba ... B.LIB?dl=0

Have a go at it and enjoy.
While there are a number of items in it that aren't solely related to the default campaign, it's meant to just be played with the default campaign right now.

I'm going to use the NAM map lib by ELH (?? maybe him?) to do some additional missions.

All of the LIB objects are my own work but the graphics (icons, skins, etc) are mostly from the old SSR I used to run and other LIBs I found around here and there I aim to cite it all when it's finally finished but for now know I take credit for none of that stuff.

Also for those who may not want the LIB here is the project folder, it's 1.79MB:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdrerwchmgff5 ... B.zip?dl=0

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 20:21 pm 

Going to work on a fictional 1975 campaign now where following the fall of Saigon, the VPAF starts harassing ships and the USN goes to teach them a lesson.
Dogfighting over Vietnam is going to be a little different when you're in an F-14A vs. an F-4B/J.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 22:47 pm 

Sounds like it is going to be a slaughter of the VPAF.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 15:25 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
Sounds like it is going to be a slaughter of the VPAF.

I went head-to-head with a MiG-21MF, MiG-17F, and a MiG-19.

The MiG-17 turned pretty well after my AIM-7E-4 missed. It didn't do so well once I got a gun lock on it.
The MiG-21 also evaded my fucking AIM-7s and then climbed for the sun so I gave it some time and then I shoved an AIM-9H so far up its ass, legend has it that MiG-21 is still somersaulting.
The MiG-19 kept low. Bad move. It died horribly.

The difficult part I am having though is with the map I'm using.
So I'm using the EBurger map for Nam because it's pretty well detailed but obviously setting it in 1975 so I am changing nationalities of Da Nang but also trying to make some of the objects not static by moving them from the map MM to the Mission file so I can delete them as we destroy SA-2s, AAA, etc. Finding that as I do this they keep disappearing entirely like just being removed from the M file after I save and open it.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 22:05 pm 

I'm not quite sure I'm getting what the problem is, but let me give a couple options.

Option 1: Do what I did with my Vietnam map and remove all the SAMs, AAA, vehicles, and other items you wish to remove (I also removed all the temporary bridges). Then, as you build missions and scenery, keep a copy of those items in a text file ( http://myplace.frontier.com/~usnraptor/Fighters%20Anthology/Maps/Vietnam%20Scenery.txt )

Option 2: Edit the .MM file and change the flags of objects that are listed but you want to be able to delete (or possibly move, I haven't tried that). Let's say there is an SA-2 you want in the first eight missions of the campaign, but want to delete it in the missions afterward. Change the flag number to a value that will allow you to do that.

Example:
obj
type BR2MID.OT
pos 442483 0 737301
angle -180 0 0
nationality2 148
flags $1 <------ Permanent; Not Affected; can attack; Show in mission map
speed 0
alias -10132
name Dong Phong Thong
obj
type BR2MID.OT
pos 442483 0 737301
angle -180 0 0
nationality2 148
flags $11 <------ Deletable; Not Affected; can attack; Show in mission map
speed 0
alias -10132
name Dong Phong Thong

Check out my .MM Editing Tips text file in my http --> misc folder or look for it in my FA Google Drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wKRgSeZCzlEmDvl2uvZlC4x6Uar1Dh17

I prefer option 1. This way I limit the number of total objects on the map per mission, cutting down on game crashes.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by usnraptor on Tue Dec 07, 2021 01:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 23:24 pm 

Yeah I was working on Option #1 at first and then I switched it up to some other things that all failed.
I did try to change all the alias' and flags to try to make them deletable but that's when they started disappearing on me.

I wish I knew what all of the flag values meant, maybe your tips has them.
Will go searching.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 23:01 pm 

Now that the mission business is fixed, I can offer an update for testing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hngscqydw9y04 ... m.zip?dl=0

There's been some updates to the actual LIB itself but I've also included 2 missions: Operation Bolo & Paul Doumer Bridge (1967).
You can find both at the top of the Single Mission list.

Man it's nice being back into modding.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 pm 

The name for your HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giant is too long as it appears in the Quick mission list.

Unlike Olds, I did better with the AIM-7 than the AIM-9. The key is rear shots against non or light maneuvering bandits.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 20:34 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
The name for your HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giant is too long as it appears in the Quick mission list.

Unlike Olds, I did better with the AIM-7 than the AIM-9. The key is rear shots against non or light maneuvering bandits.

Great I'll fix that - this is what happens when you don't beta.
I just added and moved on though I suppose I would have figured it out eventually when I do the BAT-21 mission.

Thanks for catching it and yeah I did too, I got 1 with an AIM-7 and 1 with an AIM-9 but was Winchester after that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 08:18 am 

Okay so I took a bit of a pause on developing further the Vietnam campaign (it's mostly there) as well as Iran & Cuba.
Instead, I started to "standardize" - if you will - my PT, JT, NT, SEE, ECM, et cetera files into a single project repository.
My goal is to do all of that development work there and then move those objects into more focused LIBs (e.g. Vietnam, Iran, Cuba, etc).
What I am going to do is, once I have it at a point where I'm not just making stuff to make it and store it, is to make that downloadable.
I've found a lot of data online on radar azimuth & elevation as well as range and also chaff/flare quantities, missile G loads, et cetera.
Unfortunately, I've been moving too "quickly" per say and not writing much of it down, just preferring to get the object made and move onto the next.
I'm getting good progress on missile stuff (as other threads attest) so I think once I go back and sweep through all of my missiles, I am going to put it up for download.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 06:34 am 

An FYI on your Sparrow missile, in light of what else you posted about your missiles... Sparrows were never out maneuvered by enemy aircraft. They had excellent instantaneous and sustained turn rates due to their large fins and high (Mach 2.5 to Mach 4 depending on the version) speeds and the fact they homed in on the reflected radar energy from a lock on against the target. However those big fins could work against them at long ranges as they caused much drag and could make it difficult to hit highspeed inbound targets from a distance as the Sparrow would run out of energy and be unable to make the last minute adjustments to its flight path to make the Interception... However that was in a very very small % of shots as most kills required visual ID on the target before missile launch and it was only late in the war when the US began reading NVAF IFF to determine targets were MiGs to allow BVR engagements... In the vast majority of short range engagements Sparrows only missed if they were fired from outside proper parameters, failed completely due to bad reliability and handling in the humidity and heat of Southeast Asia, or if the MIG managed to break the radar lock before the Sparrow got there. If the Sparrow worked right, and it was fired correctly within parameters, it would always kill the target... MiGs could only out maneuver the AIM-9Bs, and Ds due to the limited ability of the IR homing head to keep a lock on a high G maneuvering target. Generally if the MiG pulled over 5 Gs the Sidewinder would be defeated by the turn. The later E, G & J versions was little better.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next