Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 19:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 17:53 pm 

Have you guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B49ljE7pGM

Here is the video description:

"A demonstration of OpenFA's capabilities as of Nov 11, 2021.

OpenFA is a clean-room re-implementation of the Janes Fighters Anthology engine, implemented in Rust, using webgpu. Janes Fighters Anthology was a content re-release of the 4 games and 2 expansions that Janes released on the same engine between 1994 and 1997."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 05:32 am 

I've seen it but it really isn't FA... Its using FA shapes and objects on a new 3D world. Notice how he doesn't show the user interface...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 06:29 am 

In addition... I see no flying aircraft or cockpits or weapons... But if this can be made to work just using all default FA items and missions without having to make huge changes or renaming it could bring back our old sim... I absolutely love the fact that the new game engine can display the terrain all the way up to the edge of space without that stupid 37,000ft tile display limitation and that you can also display the tiles out into the atmosphere backscatter so you never see a tile edge. Plus the ability to display terrain heights with sharp edges at altitude and the feel of a true size of the combat theater you can fly would solve so many issues faced by the original game... It would at the very least provide a jumpstart for the rebirth of the sim... BUT only if all default items and created items can be ported in... If he changes anything like the m and mm files as I noted on his project site it will kill the portability of the sim and default FA users will have little interest.

I wish I could talk to this guy but he has never answered any message I have tried to send him...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 16:32 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
In addition... I see no flying aircraft or cockpits or weapons... But if this can be made to work just using all default FA items and missions without having to make huge changes or renaming it could bring back our old sim... I absolutely love the fact that the new game engine can display the terrain all the way up to the edge of space without that stupid 37,000ft tile display limitation and that you can also display the tiles out into the atmosphere backscatter so you never see a tile edge. Plus the ability to display terrain heights with sharp edges at altitude and the feel of a true size of the combat theater you can fly would solve so many issues faced by the original game... It would at the very least provide a jumpstart for the rebirth of the sim... BUT only if all default items and created items can be ported in... If he changes anything like the m and mm files as I noted on his project site it will kill the portability of the sim and default FA users will have little interest.

I wish I could talk to this guy but he has never answered any message I have tried to send him...

He's on our Discord, pretty cool dude too.
This was just a little preview of some stuff he's doing.
Also earlier this month Eagle114th did something with reshade and sharpened up all of the graphics and pits.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 18:29 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:

He's on our Discord, pretty cool dude too.
This was just a little preview of some stuff he's doing.
Also earlier this month Eagle114th did something with reshade and sharpened up all of the graphics and pits.

I think I have only used Discord once or twice...

Unfortunately I dont use default cockpits so Eagle's work wont help me much.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:59 am 

Nor do I because I fly at the higher resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 13:11 pm 

You can add me to the list of non-cockpit users as well. It just takes up too much screen space.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 14:09 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
You can add me to the list of non-cockpit users as well. It just takes up too much screen space.

Though when I play like SF2 I do it with the cockpit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 06:58 am 

I find that cockpits help with game emersion for the regular user. Not so much for developers and mission/campaign creators because we see the game differently. I make my cockpits for those that use my work... Unfortunately I do not like the 1024 res game because it shows the tile edges to easily and makes all the limitations of the game just stand out to me... One thing that the new FA that guy is creating might solve...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website