Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 13:30 pm 

Okay so this Cruise Activity in ordnance is driving me up a wall. I brought it up in a previous thread but now I really want to figure out what these numbers mean. We already know from my testing that altitude is increments of 250 feet - so a setting of 4 means 1,000 feet - over the target. Distance on the other hand has been puzzling me left & right.

I did some testing now with the settings of 100/20/0/0.
This means that at whatever a setting of 100 corresponds to, the missile will fly to an altitude of 5,000 feet over the target's altitude.

With these settings, I fired on the target at a bunch of ranges and somewhere around 4.4nm the missile ignored the 20 and went direct to the target. Now, 4.4 nm = 5 mi. Could it be that this is in 1/20ths of a mile? You might think so but then if I set it to 200, that would correspond to 10 mi or 8.7 nm. The threshold for loft v. no loft with 200 is 8.4nm but it should be 8.7 if the above is true.

So, who wants to help trial & error with me?
Of course, figuring out the # is only half the battle because when I tested a value in secondary dist it just made even less sense.

Help files being useless as ever:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 02:21 am 

Also depends on if it's an antiship missile or an air to ground missile, or an air to air missile...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 09:50 am 

I don't think that the type of missile is going to factor into the distance settings but first we need to find out what the distance settings mean before we can get a useful test. Insofar as altitude, it doesn't matter the type, the altitude is X feet over the target, which gets tricky by the way with lofting missiles up to 80,000 feet. If your seeker elevation FOV isn't 90° you basically lose track of the target as the missile flies higher.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 00:13 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
I don't think that the type of missile is going to factor into the distance settings but first we need to find out what the distance settings mean before we can get a useful test. Insofar as altitude, it doesn't matter the type, the altitude is X feet over the target, which gets tricky by the way with lofting missiles up to 80,000 feet. If your seeker elevation FOV isn't 90° you basically lose track of the target as the missile flies higher.

Yes the game handles each type of missile differently... It factors in low altitude for antiship where the air is denser and gives it a higher drag effect. And the exact opposite for air to air missiles where the air is thinner higher up... IF you make your selections on these factors correctly for the missile in its file...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...