Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 14:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HARM Seeker Range
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:36 am 

So I'm running into something with the HARM seeker that I can't remember if it is how the game is or if I'm doing something wrong. I've got SAMs targeting and shooting at all manner of ranges, let's say 90 nm for this example. I've tweaked up the HARM to 81 nm track range and 100 nm search range. SAM site is shooting and firing and nothing shows up on the HARM seeker window until it's ~35 nm, no matter what. I've even gone and made a simulated HTS with a ±80° FOV on both azimuth and elevation. The HARM is ±60° for azimuth and ±90° for elevation so it can loft out there and not lose the target on the climb or high-altitude flight.

Was this always how the game was or is there something I'm missing. Sort of defeats the purpose of "PB" on the HARM if you can't fling it at 81nm. I've even used ground track support from an E-8 and nothing until that site is at the ~35 nm mark.

Post subject: Re: HARM Seeker Range
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 00:26 am 

I found out - by dumb luck and really by accident. So it boils down to two things. There is a maximum distance you can detect ground targets regardless of what your seeker says if you aren't using an E-8C Ground Link. But even if you are, if the ground targets are out of range for the E-8C's radar, doesn't matter you won't see them until you get within your own range! That's why I'm not seeing SA-10s and SA-20s and SA-21s lobbing at me from 90 nm away, the E-8 is too far away!!!

Post subject: Re: HARM Seeker Range
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 03:32 am 

If you use the E-8 Link and use your ground radar instead of harm seeker you should be able to see any ground target in range of your radar no matter where the E-8 is on the map… just dont have an awacs on the map at the same time unless you give air and ground link ability to the pt file of both the awacs and E-8

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...