Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 14:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 21:36 pm 

There has always been a delay in stuff you say you will release, such as Futures. I can't remember the last time you released something on the day you said you would. Just an observation. I ain't saying I've never done it but I haven't done it to such extent.

For all your FA needs and Game Remod 6 visit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 23:51 pm 

UPDATE:

I have reduced by over 50% the numbers of graphic items downloaded onto each page...

I had not realized there were so many items. I have replaced alot fo these graphics with background colors and text. This enables a high speed load while still maintaining the intended 'look' of the page...

I will be back working on finishing it up tomorrow so I can open the site no later then Sunday, even though it will not be fully finished, it will be browsable...

CAG out...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 23:55 pm 

Cent, I am not going to get into it with you...

I am a perfectionist. I found problems with the site in beta testing. It is taking some time to solve those issues and make the site operate faster. I only obtained the actual space on the new servers yesterday. I have been waiting for quite awhile to upload it. I constructed the entire site on the HD of one of my systems, and graphical images were not a problem when loaded locally.

I had Tank run through the site and he ran into issues. Testing these revealed additional problems. I will not open the site until I know it will fulfill what I intented it to do...

The site will open when I have determined it is vully ready and to my standard of quality...

Getting it right the first time, even if it means making users wait, is always preferrable to having to download hotfixes, like I have seen you occassionally doing. Perhaps you should keep that in mind when comparing...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 00:31 am 

I'm just as anal with my sites too...the key is vagueness and not specificness. (I.E. I'm releasing that next week vs. monday)...way of the word.

For all your FA needs and Game Remod 6 visit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 15:43 pm 

Well I have delayed the opening of the site and it looks 99.99% that I will be able to open in a browsable format soon (Monday the 30th). The side effects of the changes to streamline the speed of the site and debug it have also actually improved its looks and functionality, so it is a dual benefit.

I am also planning on introducing a test center for input on the FA Futures Campaign Manager with some of its features running LIVE in the test center on the site to allow people to fly some test missions and run through the entire procedure for how the Manager actually manages its mission bank for the pilot to go through briefing, mission selection, intelligence briefing, flight plan, expected threats, and current ground war situation in order to fly the test missions. This will NOT delay the opening of the site, since I will be working on this feature only after the site is up and running...

Also the feature story on FA Source Code will be running on the main page of the site when it opens on Sunday.

CAG out...

Last edited by CAG Hotshot on Fri Jun 27, 2003 19:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 20:24 pm 

So far so good... I have solved nearly every issue. I finally have the menus all fuctional, now I need to replacate all the changes throughout the site. I just wanted you all to know I am still working on it. I have worked all weekend except for 6 hours a night to sleep, to finish the site up and I am very close. I will keep you all informed...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 18:11 pm 

About how long does it take the page to load over a slow (56K) connection? IMO, Too many frills makes life miserable for some people. So when ya going to be done with the page? As you may have noticed from from my other posts I am ecstatic about the source.

Sayonara,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 19:28 pm 

Well I have reduced 60% of the actual images and switched to java script popup menus and background colors for alot of the stuff... so it should be fast enough, once the very first page is loaded(becasue it uses the same graphical layout, nearly, for all pages, so once loaded it will load faster next page).

However I am still to finished... It is growing like a weed right now and is still not completed. I solved the issues with alot of the scripts and ran smack into another problem that I just solved today. So, the site is getting HUGE, its 95% about FA and its guaranteed to stay on the net for atleast 2 years, plus it will have (in the near future) an interactive online campaign engine for use with FA Futures...

Anyways, sorry it isnt done yet... but I did not bargain for all this extra work! I dont mind doing it but it is taking alot of time...

CAG Out...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 23:05 pm 

OK let me do another UPDATE:...

GREAT NEWS! Everything is ontrack for opeening the site tomorrow!

However it will only have about 1/10th the content I plan to display there. I jsut have not had the time to add new content, it has been fully taken up with supporting the current content and fixing the site...

I will post tomorrow on a new string when it is open, but it DEFINATLEY will be up and running no later then 18:00 CST the 30th of June!

CAG out...