Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 06:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taiwan Campaign
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm 

After 13 years going by since building my last campaign (Israeli Campaign 2001), I've decided to build a campaign based on a pissing match between China and Taiwan. So, this thread will be used to ask questions, give ideas, and pass on tips I learn from making it.

With that said, here are some questions:

How do you make objects appear late in the mission (i.e. have a submarine surface after 30 minutes)?

Does anyone have the special mission codes (i.e. U01 for aeroflight emergency) list, what they do, and how to use them?

I tried using the code k16 from the Kuril campaign to try to have the sub designated as the mission objective; but failed at it.

How do you put an object in a mission and have that object with 50% damage already done to it?

Does someone have a torpedo that I can, or tips on making one?

Thx,
usnraptor

Post subject: Re: Taiwan Campaign
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 21:14 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
How do you make objects appear late in the mission (i.e. have a submarine surface after 30 minutes)?

Does anyone have the special mission codes (i.e. U01 for aeroflight emergency) list, what they do, and how to use them?

I tried using the code k16 from the Kuril campaign to try to have the sub designated as the mission objective; but failed at it.

How do you put an object in a mission and have that object with 50% damage already done to it?

Does someone have a torpedo that I can, or tips on making one?

1. Objects appearing late
I didn't know this was possible, but it's been a while since I've played through the campaigns. Do you recall what mission you saw this in?

2. Mission codes
You can utilize mission codes, but you can't edit certain objects through the Pro Mission Creator. Examples:

Ukraine Campaign Mission 01: as you already know, the campaign code is U01. What you can do is extract the .m mission file. Note the IL96.PT - this object will set off the message once damaged - you *cannot* change this object in the Pro Mission Creator. You can directly change it in the .m file though, using a text editor. If I remember correctly, you can change everything else in the mission, including what map it is on (though this also must be done through the .M file, and not the PMC).

Kurile Campaign Mission 16: The same rules apply. (this is the mission where the AWACs will designate two Russian tanks as targets, and once you destroy them it will designate two more, etc) You can change the T72.NT object to another object within the .M file, but if you try to change it from the PMC, the code will no longer work.

3. Damaged object
You'd have to check that mission where the Clemenceau is already damaged, but I'd assume it follows the same rules as above.

4. Torpedo
The way I used to do it was basically by creating an anti-ship missile, giving it an invisible shape like MOON.SH or something like that. Of course, you'd have to adjust the firing parameters accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 16:56 pm 

Next question.

Is there any code you can type in to the mission file that will prevent the enemy aircraft from turning on their radars at certain waypoints?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 22:04 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
Next question.

Is there any code you can type in to the mission file that will prevent the enemy aircraft from turning on their radars at certain waypoints?

You can have them ignore all threats at those waypoints so that should prevent them from using their radars since they wont be looking for threats.

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:18 pm 

I set everything to Ignore, and tried different search-distance settings (i.e. 1 mile; any distance). They are still popping their radars on and off. It's nothing critical to a mission though.

FYI: I'm on mission 26 of 40.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 00:31 am 

What experience level do you have them set at?

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 14:18 pm 

I went back and set them all to novice, and then I set them all to expert, and they still show radar on and off. I even set their waypoint to ignore everything, and for others to ignore them. No change.

I'm not going to worry about it any more.

UPDATE: On a couple of the missions, I modded the mission file and set the hardpoint for certain aircraft to have no radar.

i.e. hardpoint 1 1 F22R.SEE ------> hardpoint 1 0

Last edited by usnraptor on Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:07 pm 

UPDATE:

I have the forty missions built, and the mission brief files almost complete. I still have to make a campaign file, and tweak everything to my liking.

I tried to use the standard game files (planes, weapons) as much as possible so others won't have to rely on using my modded equipment. However, some mission files have certain weapon hardpoints set for the aircraft; so, if your aircraft hardpoints have been vastly modified from the original files, then some issues may arise.

When I submit the campaign, I will try to include a file for every non-standard aircraft and weapon used.

BTW, Does anyone have aircraft icons for the P-3, AIDC Ching-Kuo, Mirage 2000, and/or the F-5 that I can use?

TIA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 02:54 am 

By icons, are you referring to the icons used in the aircraft select screen? (as far as I know, very few people made those for LIBs, since... well, very few people actually use the aircraft select screen. Given that you are planning on using campaign format, that is my guess.)

For the sake of coherency, I would suggest disallowing aircraft select. I know that this sort of screws up some aspects of the default FA campaign format (ex: having to choose between aircraft for a given mission because the others are too damaged), but if you want a campaign with a story, it really helps to be able to make it mildly realistic - and player choice of aircraft *can* mess with that. Of course, I'm reserving final opinion and judgment upon actually seeing and playing through the campaign.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 13:29 pm 

Yes, I was referring to the aircraft select screen. Some may disagree, but I don't get excited seeing a tarmac full of Hornets.
(side story: when I was 18yo, I had to guard 43 aircraft, mostly hornets, on the tarmac, in the middle of the night, by myself, with nothing but a flash light. I didn't even get a radio. That was at NAS Cecil Field -- VFA-106)

To get an idea of how I build campaigns, check out my Israeli Campaign I made in the 90's. http://www.fightersanthology.net/missions/IS_CAM.zip

The only aspect of the Taiwan Campaign that I will pledge to contain "realism" is how incredibly boring I made the first five missions. Even then, the player can choose (or choose not to choose) different aircraft.

I don't use .lib files. I put all files individually into a zip file. This way, people can easily modify mission files/briefings without the hassle of picking apart a .lib file, and people can choose whether or not to use my equipment.

UPDATE: I'm in the final testing/tweaking phase. Because of issues with the .cam file, I had to rename my P3C to P3 and my F5EV to F5E. If anyone has some nice coloring for the F-5, I would appreciate a copy. The default F-5 color is desert camoflage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 18:59 pm 

I will try to make some aircraft selection icons for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 19:19 pm 

The Taiwan Campaign is complete and e-mailed to Zephyr's yahoo address. I tested this campaign with a standard loading of Fighters Anthology to ensure that all special files were included in the zip.

If anyone finds any problems with it, let me know and I'll see if I can help. I can also make slight adjustments to the .cam and mission files if someone needs me to, though I make no promises.

Do not bother me with any "realism" complaints. If you want realism, then become a fighter pilot.

If anyone needs tips on completing certain missions successfully, I may help as well.

If someone makes icons for the aircraft (and I like them), I'll include them in the zip file.

usnraptor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 15:30 pm 

What is the story line of the campaign? I might want to incorporate some of the missins into the FAF Korea Campaign involving Taiwan..

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 16:51 pm 

Campaign is now posted in the missions section. 08 SEP 2013
http://jkpeterson.net/fa/missions/Taiwan.zip

*SPOILER ALERT*

The story begins with a brief history of the relationship between China and Taiwan, according to wikipedia. From there, I progress it to a grudge match of China (PRC) and Taiwan (ROC) agitating each other in the Taiwan Strait. Then it quickly escalates into a full-blown invasion of China into Taiwan driving ROC forces to the eastern edge of the island. The ROC fight back hard with their outdated equipment, and (with the help of US supplies) eventually drive the PRC back home.

I have a couple missions of P-3s hunting submerged subs, a Cobra helicopter mission, a C-130 dropping a 15,000 lbs. bomb. It is a total 40 mission campaign with the player flying F-5s, AIDC Ching-Kuos, F-16s, P-3s, and Mirage 2000s. The first five are incredibly boring, but are used to progress the story.

The enemy flies J-7s, J-10s, J-11s (SU-27), J-15s (SU-33), SU-34s, JH-7s, and Q-5s. The PRC also has two aircraft carriers.

For the person who wants to just use 1 aircraft for "realism", almost all missions can be played with an F-16.

All mission briefings include a situation summary and a mission objective.

usnraptor

Last edited by usnraptor on Sat Jan 28, 2023 19:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 17:39 pm 

thanks for this raptor. downloading now. can you make another middle east campaign? thx.