Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 05:27 am 

I cant figure out how to make the SAMs pull lead when attacking you. They usually end up in a tail chase instead of the more realistic lead intercept. Has anyone else noticed this or worked on this? I have made some pretty deadly SAMs but I cant get the older SAMs like the SA-2,3, and 6s to pull lead. The new top attack SAMs like the S300/400?Patriot have been a lot easier to replicate... Are there any tips on this?

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 23:39 pm 

No one has seen this with the SA-2 and SA-6?

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 23:57 pm 

I've spent little time and had even less success with SAMs. I tried to make a 100% kill SAM once, but it ended up a dud.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 06:22 am 

Do *any* Fighters Anthology missiles pull lead? Unless I'm mistaken, I'm fairly certainly none of the missiles, SAM or otherwise pull lead, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 04:16 am 

Speedy wrote:
Do *any* Fighters Anthology missiles pull lead? Unless I'm mistaken, I'm fairly certainly none of the missiles, SAM or otherwise pull lead, unfortunately.

Wow its been a while Speedy...

I do not know if any pull lead. I have not tried them all but I have been able to make missiles come down on top of you instead of hitting you in the tail...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 04:17 am 

usnraptor wrote:
I've spent little time and had even less success with SAMs. I tried to make a 100% kill SAM once, but it ended up a dud.

I have been very successful at making SAMs that are tough to evade but doable if you see it soon enough. But again they are not pulling lead. And if you clibm they go into this crazy corck screw climb after you like its the movie behind enemy lines! :lol:

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 02:33 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Speedy wrote:

I do not know if any pull lead. I have not tried them all but I have been able to make missiles come down on top of you instead of hitting you in the tail...

Hey CAG! Yeah, it's been a long time, I was cleaning out my bookmarks and happened back on the forum. It's really cool to see that this place is still (semi) active, and that you're still coming out with new innovations for FA!

I do know that missiles can come down from above (I recall there's a checkbox that the Phoenix uses that makes this flight path available for other missiles as well), but that's the only form of "non-chase" missile that I know of in FA (that, and the Harpoon).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 03:40 am 

Speedy wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:
Speedy wrote:

Hey CAG! Yeah, it's been a long time, I was cleaning out my bookmarks and happened back on the forum. It's really cool to see that this place is still (semi) active, and that you're still coming out with new innovations for FA!

I do know that missiles can come down from above (I recall there's a checkbox that the Phoenix uses that makes this flight path available for other missiles as well), but that's the only form of "non-chase" missile that I know of in FA (that, and the Harpoon).

Yea I have the old SA-5 and Nike Hercules, plus the new Patriot and the Russian S300/S400s using the top down attack. Was hoping to get the regular SAMs to pull lead ... still experimenting on them.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 21:29 pm 

Solution was very simple and in the FATK... You just select "Compute Target Lead" under Ordnance Parameters... No Default FA missiles have this option selected which is why no one ever thought FA had the capability...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 21:43 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Solution was very simple and in the FATK... You just select "Compute Target Lead" under Ordnance Parameters... No Default FA missiles have this option selected which is why no one ever thought FA had the capability...

Problem is when you select this IIRC the missile just hangs in mid-air and never goes for the target.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 21:48 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:

Problem is when you select this IIRC the missile just hangs in mid-air and never goes for the target.

I have not found that to be an issue. So I am thinking this has to do with the other settings you do and how the missile is guided, all in conjunction with the compute lead setting...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 07:38 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:

Speedy wrote:

Update... Checking the "Compute Target Lead" has not caused any detrimental issues with my older SAM missiles or any of my air to air missiles. That includes Radar and IR guided missiles... The testing has made it painfully obvious though that I still need to do a lot more work to get a SAM much more realistic in its performance. My SA-2 does well now... It tries to pull lead and you can beat if with pure maneuvers without the use of chaff or ECM, but if you don't maneuver rapidly and get the missile out of sync with you it will kill you... but my SA-6 accelerates way to quickly and has super maneuverability... you cant out maneuver it without chaff and Super ECM (over 100% effective), because you cant see it launch and its visibility range is to short. On a real SA-6 you can see it coming the entire flight if you see it launch so I have a lot of work still to do...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 08:55 am 

Very interesting!

So if I'm understanding you correctly, by checking the "compute target lead" option under ordnance parameters, missiles will pull lead, similar to how they behave in some other flight simulators like DCS?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 03:10 am 

Speedy wrote:
Very interesting!

So if I'm understanding you correctly, by checking the "compute target lead" option under ordnance parameters, missiles will pull lead, similar to how they behave in some other flight simulators like DCS?

They improve and try to pull lead but they are not as effective at it as they are in DCS. They will still fall behind you if they don't have the proper turn rates and G capabilities, plus other parameters that effect their ability to guide on you.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website