Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 08:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hardpoint Crash (M File)
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 01:07 am 

Okay this is a new one to me.
Whenever I try to set a custom loadout in this mission, it crashes on save and wipes out the file.

Code:
obj
   type F4C.PT
   pos 25794 18000 560550
   angle 0 0 0
   nationality3 0
   flags $4017
   speed 506
   alias -26
   name Rambler 02
   skill 3
   react $c000 $3fff $0
   searchDist 0
   wing 2 1
   wng 1 0 2048 0
   hardpoint 7 3 F350.GAS

Basically what I'm sticking in here.
It's the 8th hardpoint so #7 because start with 0.
Quantity is quantity.
Item is item and it's a valid item.
Tried with ALQ72.ECM (crash) and AA9.JT (crash) just to see if it was gas.
Tried with quantity of 1 too (crash).
It's the damnedest thing.

I never remember having this CTD.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 01:56 am 

If you are referring to saving the missions in-game with the Pro Mission Creator, then yes, it'll save the mission right up to the hardpoint command, and then will crash the game and you'll lose everything after that.

All hardpoint commands must be removed prior to modifying the mission with the Pro Mission Creator.
‐-----‐-----
If this is not the case, then I'm not sure what is going on. Looking at what you listed, it should work.

When I run into a major problem with a mission that I can't diagnose, I will make a copy of the mission, open the mission with Notepad, and start deleting from the bottom up. Start by deleting the whole waypoint section. Still crashing? Keep deleting items from the bottom, up.

Perhaps delete 20 items, save, go play mission. Keep repeating process until the game doesn't crash. Once no crash happens, then you know the problem lies within that last section of 20 items deleted.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 04:34 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Okay this is a new one to me.
Whenever I try to set a custom loadout in this mission, it crashes on save and wipes out the file.

Code:
obj
   type F4C.PT
   pos 25794 18000 560550
   angle 0 0 0
   nationality3 0
   flags $4017
   speed 506
   alias -26
   name Rambler 02
   skill 3
   react $c000 $3fff $0
   searchDist 0
   wing 2 1
   wng 1 0 2048 0
   hardpoint 7 3 F350.GAS

Basically what I'm sticking in here.
It's the 8th hardpoint so #7 because start with 0.
Quantity is quantity.
Item is item and it's a valid item.
Tried with ALQ72.ECM (crash) and AA9.JT (crash) just to see if it was gas.
Tried with quantity of 1 too (crash).
It's the damnedest thing.

I never remember having this CTD.

You have 1 of two possible problems... You CANT edit a mission in the game if it has that hardpoint command. You can only edit it with notepad. The game will crash and corrupt the file...

OR...

Only the alterable hardpoints can be changed with that mission command. Which of your hardpoints is the first one that can be altered in game at the loadout screen? 0, 1, or 2? Then you count from there. So lets say hard point 0 is radar and cant be altered and hardpoint 1 is a AIM-7e and it and the next 5 can be altered in game at the loadout screen... So it would be hardpoint 1,2,3,4,5,6 that are loadable and you can only add to those in the mission file with that command and you can only load the appropriate ordnance on it... If that hardpoint allows fuel in the PT file, as you want to do, then you can add it. It it only allows bombs and rockets you cant add fuel or ecm to that hardpoint using the mission command... Also if there is a hardpoint with another required item in the list between 1 and 6 then it skews the count like this... 1,2,3 can be altered at the loadout screen, hardpoint 4 has a required it and cant be changed, but 5 and 6 can... So if you try to load an item in the mission using that command on hardpoint 4 it will conflict with its required item...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:41 pm 

I respectfully disagree with CAG on the point of where we can load fuel. I just ran a test (using B52.PT in the playset) and was able to load fuel on all hardpoints, 0-7.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 15:23 pm 

Yeah I've never had these issues before with custom loading and the numbering scheme was always the hardpoint # versus the first one you could edit.
I know for sure that the hardpoint line is what's causing a crash.

The kicker is some other missions I made it didn't crash when I did this.
I'm going to test if it's the ACTUAL plane itself that's the issue.
Don't know why it would be but the only thing left to check.

I've done entire campaigns where I custom loadout the planes and never had saving issues before this is a very random crash on me.
The kicker was it did it, erased the file, so I started over again, had it working, changed hardpoints on the PT (from 2 on 6 to splitting it between 6 & 7 1 per pylon because I had the room in the PT) and crashed again, which is what brought me here.

Also the custom loading ignores the settings so you can put an AIM54 on a pylon that doesn't allow Phoenix because those restrictions only apply to custom loadout screen.
I've also done this before where I had like an AIM-54 on an F-15C (random fantasy mission it was stupid but I digress it worked).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEP!
Something is wrong with F4C.PT

Code:
obj
   type F105.PT
   pos 1165427 10000 1790042
   angle 90 0 0
   nationality3 0
   flags $4017
   speed 598
   alias -1
   controller $80
   name Player
   skill 1
   react $0 $ffff $0
   searchDist 0
   hardpoint 5 1 F450.GAS
   hardpoint 6 2 PAVEWAY.JT
   hardpoint 7 0
   hardpoint 8 0

This worked perfectly and to show how the number starts at 0 here is the hardpoints.

Now what is wrong with F4C.PT?
No clue.

What am I going to do?
Figure it out?
Nah!

Just going to redo the PT ;)

EDIT #2
Tested F4.PT and it worked like a charm so I just deleted F4C.PT and made F4.PT (F-4D) into the F-4C (F4C.PT) and tested it and everything works.
So something was clearly wrong with the PT file god knows what though but it was an easy enough fix.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 23:29 pm 

What are the max weight loads on the hardpoints? And can you load a guided weapon onto hardpoint 6?

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 13:22 pm 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
What are the max weight loads on the hardpoints? And can you load a guided weapon onto hardpoint 6?

3500# per hardpoint so no issues with the ALQ72.ECM which is pretty light and yes no issues with guided weapons either.

Whatever it was was directly related to the PT file.
I replicated the same hardpoint settings when I rebuilt it from the F-4D.

I pulled that F4C from the F4CR (RF-4C) from my Iran 1980 LIB (which means I have to go back and redo that one just in case but that's easy).
It was definitely all set from a loading POV - had no issues with custom loadout screen.