Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:50 pm 

Nose numbers would be nice, but are not all that important; especially since all the MiG-19s would have the same number. The difficulty with the nose numbers may explain why the developers abandoned the numbers on the Q-5 main texture (but are found on the damaged textures).

The player-chosen nationality being visible is definitely
good news.

I'm currently updating both of my Vladivostok campaigns, along with updating some of the Russian aircraft from their current default settings. I don't have a time line yet for the release of playset v 3.2.

Last edited by usnraptor on Fri Jun 11, 2021 21:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 14:26 pm 

Fantastic book by the way - and there's a good piece about the MiG-19's role on that day, especially in shooting down Lodge & Locher.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 15:22 pm 

I have that book and used it several times to build missions for both Linebacker campaigns. Lots of details.

Jeff Ethyl appeared in several episodes of Discovery Channel Wings until his untimely death while flying a P-38.

He also did his own series called Roaring Glory Warbirds. In those, he gives details of the planes themselves and takes the viewer on a ride in them, detailing what goes on in the cockpit.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 15:29 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
I have that book and used it several times to build missions for both Linebacker campaigns. Lots of details.

Jeff Ethyl appeared in several episodes of Discovery Channel Wings until his untimely death while flying a P-38.

He also did his own series called Roaring Glory Warbirds. In those, he gives details of the planes themselves and takes the viewer on a ride in them, detailing what goes on in the cockpit.

Yeah I'm going to do some of the same myself - also using "The Linebacker Raids" by John T. Smith and "Fast Movers" by John Darrell Sherwood.

Love the detail it's so well done.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 16:14 pm 

usnraptor wrote:
Nose numbers would be nice, but are not all that important; especially since all the MiG-19s would have the same number. The difficulty with the nose numbers may explain why the developers abandoned the numbers on the Q-5 main texture (but are found on the damaged textures).

The player-chosen nationality being visible is definitely
good news.

I'm currently updating both of my Vladivostok campaigns, along with updating some of the Russian aircraft from their current default settings. I don't have a time line yet for the release of playset v 3.4.

I am going to give one final try for the nose numbers today. I did not realize they were on the damage model. That may be an important clue to getting them to work. Its important because the Q5 damage model is the basis for the MiG-19 Damage model as well.

UPDATE: There definitely is a huge difference between the damage model stability and the main shape model stability. You can examine the damage model in the main color editor but you cant do that with the main model. If I could have done this with the main model I could have finished this project a month ago because you can color individual polygons vs only being able to recolor ALL polygons in the older color editor so I cant easily mark individual polygons for shape and skin editing which makes this MiG-19S main shape a tedious and frustrating project as you have to manually tab through each polygon to find it to edit the skin location on that specific polygon and there are 279 polygons in this shape and that is just the 1st LOD... The Close in Shape. Then you have to replicate shape changes in all levels of the shape so the aircraft has the correct look at medium and long ranges...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 23:18 pm 

How's it going?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 03:55 am 

usnraptor wrote:
How's it going?

I have been buried in an avalanche of work but I managed to solve the issues. Its going out the door to you this next weekend. I will NEVER alter a shape that cant be opened with the enhanced version of the shape color editor again. This thing has been nothing but frustration... You will have to do some major testing on it to make sure it is ok. It has altered crash shapes and skins plus an altered shadow shape to go with the altered skin and base line model...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...