Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Command Guidance
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 18:13 pm 

Re: Missiles that operate off of command guidance

> Can they be spoofed with chaff and RF jamming?

I'm blanking on this.

Post subject: Re: Command Guidance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 05:57 am 

Yes... Command Guidance is essentially the same thing as Semi Active Radar Homing in FA... And you know how easy it is to spoof a Sparrow or Alamo...

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 09:53 am 

Well I mean for real life not necessarily in FA.
Because I'm wondering if I should be modifying the chaff/flare spoof to 0% for command.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 21:31 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Because I'm wondering if I should be modifying the chaff/flare spoof to 0% for command.

Not if the command guidance is via a radar return. You try to break the radar lock just like you try to do on any radar based guidance. Command guidance line of sight is a different thing altogether. Its guided optically. Chaff would have no effect on it. Though enough flares might interfere with the camera lock used to guide the missile to the target, but it would have to be a lot of flares!

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:28 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
Centurian57_369th wrote:

Not if the command guidance is via a radar return. You try to break the radar lock just like you try to do on any radar based guidance. Command guidance line of sight is a different thing altogether. Its guided optically. Chaff would have no effect on it. Though enough flares might interfere with the camera lock used to guide the missile to the target, but it would have to be a lot of flares!

Okay good info and I saw a few that use SARH as terminal simply because command by itself - not optical - just isn't accurate enough.

At least since it's impossible to model switching from RF CLOS (SARH to optical) terminal, I might just have to have 2 missiles there. One with optical guidance but chaff & ECM have no effect - to be used at very short range - and one with SARH guidance. Seems to be there are very few command guidance without a terminal radar homing. Most are RF terminal with a backup optical for high ECM and short range.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 03:07 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
CAG Hotshot wrote:
Centurian57_369th wrote:

Okay good info and I saw a few that use SARH as terminal simply because command by itself - not optical - just isn't accurate enough.

At least since it's impossible to model switching from RF CLOS (SARH to optical) terminal, I might just have to have 2 missiles there. One with optical guidance but chaff & ECM have no effect - to be used at very short range - and one with SARH guidance. Seems to be there are very few command guidance without a terminal radar homing. Most are RF terminal with a backup optical for high ECM and short range.

That is how I did SAM sites that have backup optical guidance in their missiles incase the radar is jammed or destroyed. But missiles such as the SA-19 have optical guidance from launch to impact as a selectable main guidance so as to not give the target a missile launch warning and to allow the vehicle to avoid antiradiation missile attacks. Just remember the optical guidance camera has a much more limited range than the radar controlled guidance...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 09:40 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
That is how I did SAM sites that have backup optical guidance in their missiles incase the radar is jammed or destroyed. But missiles such as the SA-19 have optical guidance from launch to impact as a selectable main guidance so as to not give the target a missile launch warning and to allow the vehicle to avoid antiradiation missile attacks. Just remember the optical guidance camera has a much more limited range than the radar controlled guidance...

Yeah it's got to be visual only really if you go optical.
Right now my SA-22 and SA-19 are murder and I have them as active radar too.

I'm going to play around some, I really want to get to the point where the SA-6 is just a beast and then from there onward they get harder and harder as you get to the SA-11 and SA-17.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 07:15 am 

The SA-11 doesn't have a proven combat record... You may want to factor that into its effectiveness.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 09:44 am 

The Buk didn't do too bad in Georgia against the Russians, actually the only thing the Georgians did right was shooting down some Russian planes. The Russians used it sparingly in Ukraine but got a few planes too - and of course one Dutch airliner. Syrian's can't do squat with them but who's really surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 22:27 pm 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
The Buk didn't do too bad in Georgia against the Russians, actually the only thing the Georgians did right was shooting down some Russian planes. The Russians used it sparingly in Ukraine but got a few planes too - and of course one Dutch airliner. Syrian's can't do squat with them but who's really surprised.

Not much of a challenge in shooting down Russian built aircraft... Its a failure against western aircraft and western ecm.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website