Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 08:01 am 

Yep, I know what you've all been thinking, what happened to good ol' Red Bear... (Some might say evil...?) well, as luck would have it I lost all of my information AGAIN to a nice deadly virus (Probably at least half a dozen viruses) and lost my newest project, Aerial Inferno: Taiwan that would have probably been one of my best works and would no doubt be an awesome project simulating a Taiwan Strait war (That is, until Falcon V comes out, lol) The final frosting on the cake was I lost my computer to my Dad's restaurant for computing, so I was literally OUT of the FA and online world until recently...

I have decided to stand up again and do something for the Fighters Anthology community which has given me so much, but I need to make sure you guys are all interested, first. I don't have the time nor resources to make AI:T all over again, or anything that detailed, but I do have time to make a few more theater based LIBs, though not with complete OrBats of every squadron in the area or whatever. Also, what I can do is improve the graphics of every single stock FA map, note that I will not change the airfield locations or whatever, just improve the graphics so that all of your custom missions will still work fine, just with improved eye candy. (Obviously, you guys have to be somewhat interested in this for me to do all this work)

And last of all (For this post, at least) I decided the folks who have been flying this great title for the past... what, ten years? Deserve a well-needed upgrade to the map that started it all... good ol' Ukraine... In the new Black Sea Upgrade that will be released first should I get enough interested feedback, the whole map will be completely overhauled (Save for the approximate locations of the harbors, cities, and airfields) to include the US, Russians, Ukrainians, Romanians, Turks, Bulgarians, possibly the French and the Canadians in a smaller scale (Compared to FA Futures) theater oriented upgrade to the map. New cockpits for all flyable aircraft (Though not all will be flyable, I don't have time to draw new cockpits for every single aircraft including NPCs if I want to make things like flight envelope, missile performance, etc etc believable...)

Now, that's it for now, I'm going to need some feedback... look forward to releasing some great work for the FA Community, for once... (Before my computer gets destroyed by another virus...)

-Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 18:25 pm 

Its good to hear from you Speedy. Thought you left us for good. That map sounds awesome. As you know Cent and the word map is like a sexual revolution hehe...I take it you didn't even have a mock-up file of AI:T lying around somewhere either huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 19:29 pm 

Maybe you could talk to CAG and do a map which isnt already planned for FAF use (at least not in the near future), thus you wont be doing that hard work twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 18:11 pm 

Actually its fully redundant... FA - 2 Stage 1, the complete upgrade of ALL default items, maps, terrains, skins, cockpits, etc to the improved level of FAF has already begun. What would be better would be new maps...

Sinc ethe definition of FA -2 Stage 1 is the maximization of default FA to its highest level...

Its been the published goal of FA - 2 for over 6 months now...

Come on Speedy, think of something original for a change...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 22:37 pm 

Hell, it's not THAT serious, CAG, I'm just making some smaller scale theaters for the FA community until FA-2 comes out. Obviously, when FA-2 comes out it's going to outclass everything, making almost ALL projects and libraries redundant, so it'll kinda be hard to think of anything really creative that hasn't been overlapped by FA-2 now, won't it?

I mean, all I want to do is upgrade the gameplay and textures for FA, and what better start could that be than to start with the Ukraine and Kurile Islands campaign?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 13:01 pm 

It would be much better if you applied your capabilities to upgrading the maps terrains, with guidance, so your work can be incorporated into FA-2... That way you will be able to continue improvements after FA-2 Stage 1 is released and any campaign work you do will be compatible...

The question is, and this is due to your own track record and actions, can you be trusted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 02:38 am 

Well CAG, whether or not you trust me or willing to listen to me will be your call, but from what I've seen from the General Discussion boards you don't seem to like opinions from other viewpoints, don't seem willing to even think about what the opposition is trying to say, what point they're trying to make. (Obviously not just you, several others also, but that's not my point, and I'm not trying to make you look bad, just pointing out something I noticed.) Simply put, I think that you have already a feeling or hunch about how I will act, and that I probably will never change or something like that. Whether or you not you believe that I've matured, that I have the ability to learn, to listen, to think from more than one biased viewpoint is completely up to you.

Of course, these words coming up from someone who's copied your screenshots before, been flamed by you for it before, and is simply some faceless 16 year old kid from Taiwan probably don't mean much, but here it is.

Either way, when I release my new projects they will all be open source, for several reasons. One, so that if there are any illegal materials inside they can be checked and removed accordingly, and two, what's the point of locking these things anyway? (Why VNFAWING locks its LIBs I can certainly understand, if that's what your group decides. When I'm doing most of this work by myself, I feel that it doesn't matter. Obviously I borrow things from other open source libraries, but if at any time someone feels something shouldn't be there then I can remove it easily. After all, I don't feel I have anything to hide.

You are free to incorporate anything that I make into FA-2, and in fact I wish you would because I truly feel that the Taiwan Theater that I can make would be far superior than anyone else in the current FA world, because I live here, I know what's going on, not just what's been flying around on the internet or the US or China's propoganda. I'm not simply wishing to upgrade the map terrain or the orbat of the Taiwan Strait area, I want to make everyone understand what's been going on, what's the historical background, what or plight is (Other than being bombed off the surface of the earth) because in truth it is a VERY interesting story that many westerners have no idea about. I'm not good at writing or anything like that but I will try to make extremely accurate and realistic missions with a believable storyline, ranging from the 1940s to the future, that also includes Saber vs MiG battles over the Taiwan Strait.

Pretty sure it would be VERY useful to FA-2, also noting the fact that all radio messages will be in Chinese, adding to the sense of something new, flying in a new scenario...

Incorporating Aerial Inferno: Taiwan map objects into FA-2 will probably be pretty easy, all you have to change are the object names of the taxiways, mostly... I trust that your group is very professional, but frankly speaking I think that I can make a more accurate representation of the ROC and PRC armed forces than you can. (No offense at all intended, just speaking my mind. Very afraid of offending you.)

Lots of text to repond to a short post, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 16:03 pm 

Actually, the reason I distrust what you say or do for FA, is that most of your libraries have used stolen VNFAWING items that you obtained when you were beta testing for the EGroup. This showed a complete lack of honesty on your part and it took you several years to finally admit your wrong doings. And you still used the items after this, even when I asked you to remove them and you gave me lip service by saying you would, and then you did not...

That is why I dont trust what you say and do... If you had not done this, then it would nto be a problem to take you at face value...

You reap what you sow...

CAG out...

PS - I have no doubt your have done a fine job on Taiwan, as you reside there. But just so that you know, I built a full Taiwan Theater for Falcon 4.0 that I sent to the now dead G2i Falcon V development team to incorporate into Falcon V. The terrain was matched perfected to the global map with 100% correct elevations, city locations, rivers, mountians, terrain types, etc... backed up by the global database that is available online via the PMC site.

However I am sure your Taiwan is done as accurately as FA will allow, since when you do your own work you do indeed do a good job. I just hope you asked permission for the use of the high resolution Falcon 4 terrain you chose for your maps. It is owned by a specific individual and is not open source. That is why I have not used it myself...

As for Chinese forces, I would currently use the databases at scramble and their new Chinese Orbats (which I contributed to and where you 'borrowed' your Taiwan Orbat Map from) and the data base at China Defense coupled with my subscription to the USNI database.

Again this may or may not substitute for me not living in the region, I do not know. I would think it would at the very least give me the insight to do a competitent job...

And you didnt offend me, I am just speaking the facts about your previous track record...