Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 00:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FA Toolkit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 20:58 pm 

Hi. I recently downloaded the Fighters Anthology toolkit. I have been unsuccessful at contacting DuoSoft to purchase the unlock code. Any help in this matter would be appriciated. Thank you.

BTW, does anyone have any tips for simulating JDAM bombs in the toolkit? The closest I have gotten is making a GBU-27 IR guided instead of laser.

Post subject: Re: FA Toolkit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 21:02 pm 

prism wrote:
Hi. I recently downloaded the Fighters Anthology toolkit. I have been unsuccessful at contacting DuoSoft to purchase the unlock code. Any help in this matter would be appriciated. Thank you.

BTW, does anyone have any tips for simulating JDAM bombs in the toolkit? The closest I have gotten is making a GBU-27 IR guided instead of laser.

Find the OLD OLD Network54 board and now about the JDAM. Make them visually guided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 21:18 pm 

I'd say make them IR guided, if visual they can't work in clouds or night, one of the big areas for JDAMs to overcome the limitations of LGBs. However, FA's IR guidance might have problems in clouds.

Zephyr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 21:24 pm 

the whole idea for the JDAM program was to overcome the problems LGBs had with weather at a price (cheap) similar to LGBs. F-117s in ODS RTB'd many times with thier LGBs on board because when they got to the target they found it obscured with clouds or smoke. F-111s carried 2000lb LGBs AND MK-84s so that if the target was obscured they could use the RADAR to attack with the dumb bombs.

In FA, IR and visual wont work in fog, RADAR is the only way to go if you want to simulate JDAMs use and abilities properly.

Let your anger be like the monkey which hides inside the piniata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 21:25 pm 

KAPTOR wrote:
the whole idea for the JDAM program was to overcome the problems LGBs had with weather at a price (cheap) similar to LGBs. F-117s in ODS RTB'd many times with thier LGBs on board because when they got to the target they found it obscured with clouds or smoke. F-111s carried 2000lb LGBs AND MK-84s so that if the target was obscured they could use the RADAR to attack with the dumb bombs.

In FA, IR and visual wont work in fog, RADAR is the only way to go if you want to simulate JDAMs use and abilities properly.

Radar is good yes but what if the plane does not have a radar, as in the case of the F-117. Also the B-2 will have to turn on the radar to drop their JDAMs.

I have thought about moving all my JDAMs to radar but I am not entirely sure I want to yet since the idea is to drop them without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 00:30 am 

I think that IR guided is best, since a active radar seeker will give away the positiion on planes such as the B-2.

Is the AI smart enough to detect enemy aircraft using the RWR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 01:33 am 

prism wrote:
I think that IR guided is best, since a active radar seeker will give away the positiion on planes such as the B-2.

Is the AI smart enough to detect enemy aircraft using the RWR?

AI is not. AI uses active radar left and right if they have it...They are NOT intelligent. IR would be alright but in fog it is essentially useless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 03:05 am 

AI aircraft can detect you by your radar. I dont remember if they act just on (simulated) RWR or only when you lock them up (well that'd be RWR, too, but I believe you know what I mean).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 03:29 am 

Tank_77th wrote:
AI aircraft can detect you by your radar. I dont remember if they act just on (simulated) RWR or only when you lock them up (well that'd be RWR, too, but I believe you know what I mean).

Well they fly with their radar on so if they can see you on radar they act. I've locked up planes before from out of their engagement range and had them not do anything until I launched a missile. I do it all the time with the F-14D, locking up planes from fifty miles away when they don't have radar ranges to meet and firing away. One thing is when they do get a missile warning they know where it comes from right away and then they pretty much got you in their sights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 03:36 am 

so, if you get a active radar lock on an aircraft, they will react, even if you are in a stealthy aircraft that cannot be seen on their radar screens, correct?

do they react if you get them on an IR lock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 03:50 am 

prism wrote:
so, if you get a active radar lock on an aircraft, they will react, even if you are in a stealthy aircraft that cannot be seen on their radar screens, correct?

do they react if you get them on an IR lock?

If you get an active radar lock on an aircraft they will not always react. If you are within their detection range and their parameters include attacking fighters or bombers or whatever within lets say 25 miles and you are within 25 miles they are going after you no matter what. You can have aircraft targetted and not have them react. If you fire a weapon at them they will react the instant they get a warning on their RWR. That means if you shoot an AIM-120, when the missile is within 5 miles they get the warning. As for an IR-lock it goes the same as radar. Once you fire at them, no matter what you do they are coming after you, even in stealth aircraft as I have found out with my F/A-22 in testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 05:12 am 

On some occasions they do attack you as soon as you lock on (or turn radar on), but not before that. I cant remember when that happens. I believe it happens when u are outside their sensor range (or invisible due to stealth) and their attack range is set to unlimited.