Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 04:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECM
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 16:02 pm 

using FATK i have modified many maps, planes, weapns, seekers, ecms, etc. to make it more releastic. After spending couple hours i successfully made tanks and radio towers visible in the HARM anti-radiation seeker. But aside from that i have tried making AAA which use radar such as the ZSU-23 vulnurable to ECMs. but it doesnt work i tried everything i even made zsu-23 300% vulnerable to ECM but that didn't work because ZSU-23 ordnance is not "guided projectile". But you certainly don't want to make it a guided projectile due to some complications it creates. Wondering if anyone knows how to jam AAA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 23:01 pm 

By radio towers i meant radar like the Squat Eye.
As for the tanks i remember reading somewhere that modern tanks can be visible on HTS at about 5nm due to its powerful radio. ill try to find it and post the link. But radios shouldnt be detectable now that i think about it. whatever i think ill take the tanks off hts...

back to the topic...I tried jamming a ZSU-23 with an EA-6 and a non ecm equiped MiG-17. The results were no different both got damaged pretty bad. If the larger radar bubble helps avoiding AAA, then should i make the ECM Increased RCS 200%?
One thing that always bothered me about ZSU-23s in FA is that their Hit Probability is 0.35 from approxiamately 0.5nm. Also some sites report same probability of kill. Now thats pretty high and yet they caused no major problems in desert storm and in Kosovo. But in arab israeili wars they proved lethal. i think that ECMs have made these bastards useless these days. Thats why im trying to make it difficult for zsu to shoot modern aircraft and easy to shoot down the older ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 00:29 am 

Wrongo, 0.5nm is only 2500ft or so, no problem staying THAT far away from them. DS and Kosovo were fought from higher altitudes and RHAW gear was much more effective. In the 73 and 67 wars MOST planes had virtually no RWR gear at all, the zippers were effective cause the pilots frequently had no idea they were there till it was too late. I dont know what effect spoofing and swamping has on radar laid guns but since they have back-up systems anyway it makes no sense to play in thier sandbox if you dont have to.

Let your anger be like the monkey which hides inside the piniata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:52 am 

Yea but during nighttimes, Radar guidance is the only option. During desert storm ZSU-23 were the only ones firing at US aircrafts (at night). The other visual AAA were just blind shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:56 pm 

I see, i think its the F-16CJ SEAD missions doing the trick not the jammers then.