Zephyr Net

Return to the Fighters Anthology Resource Center

Go to the VNFAWING.com Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 02:53 am 

Hello everyone,

I am backing back to flying Jane's Fighter Anthology after many years. I have a great goal of being able to build a multi version of FA with various Libs.

First, I want to give my thank to Centurian for the support when I was having problems running Jane's FA with LIBs installed. I am using Windows 10 in my both gaming laptops. I also have a video card (GTX / RTX series).

When I mounted .iso files (Disc) to install Jane's FA, I made sure to set my window's date back to 1998 before doing it. After patching FA to 1.02F, I resumed my window's date back to 2021 (current date).

I am able to start, load, and fly in Jane's FA's clean directory. And to make sure I do everything correctly, I installed it in a default drive (C: ).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIBs situation:

When I put one LIB file (For example: PMok Delta 1.2 Lib) into FA directory and start FA, I am able to load FA, go into a quick mission, select aircraft and fly.

However, if I put LIBs that require a multi Lib files (For example: 714 lib), FA still will load to a main screen. When I select a quick mission or try to select aircraft list in a single mission, I crashed to desktop.

Next, I tried running in a compatibility mode (Windows XP SP3), I still get the same results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried another Lib I wanted to fly (USN Raptor) Planeset 3.0, I got the same result when trying to go to a quick mission or load aircraft selection list from a single mission.

However, I decided to try another method of installing Libs. When I install the individual files, I am able to load Jane’s FA, open a quick mission, especially load the aircraft selection list from a single mission successfully! I am having fun with USN Raptor Lib.

I am looking forward to flying in FA Future LIBs, Remod Libs, and another Libs as soon I get the answers on how to get them working fully in FA.

FA’s NOCD version:

I decided to run an experiment to see if I get the same results when running nocd FA version (Ky3Mu4). After replacing FA.exe and LIB files from Ky3Mu4’s nocd, I extracted the LIB files from disc 1 only and replaced them in FA directory. I noted the latest date from one of LIB file (1998).

With a clean FA (nocd version), I am able to load FA, go to quick mission, and open aircraft selection list from a single mission like a clean FA version with default FA.exe.

I put one LIB file (PMok Delta mod), I got the same result by being able to do the same thing as above.

However, if I put a multi-lib files in FA directory, I crashed to desktop when loading a quick mission or opening aircraft selection list from a single mission.

By the way, when I used the individual files from USN Raptor, I am able to load FA, go to a quick mission, or load an aircraft selection list from a single mission.

What I found out is that, in order, to use any Libs that requires a multi LIB files, I am able to fully experience FA with libs if I use the individual files. FA won’t load a quick mission or open aircraft selection list if I use the packed multi-Lib files.

Note: I double checked to make sure that the Lib file’s stamp date are later after all default FA’s lib files.

Is anyone having the similar situation with Jane's FA in Windows 10? Is there a solution to the situation I am facing with the multi-Lib files?

"Great pilots are made not born... A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience."
Air Vice-Marshall J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson, RAF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 05:06 am 

I've only tested my current WIP version of FA Futures on WIN10 and have had no issues. (So far)

TSH Member/Developer
VNFAWING.com Forum Administrator

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

FA Futures/FA-2 is Still Being Worked On and Will Be Released...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 07:16 am 

CAG Hotshot wrote:
I've only tested my current WIP version of FA Futures on WIN10 and have had no issues. (So far)

That actually gave me a hope! May I ask you a few questions?

1) Are you running on a compatibility mode when launching FA.exe?
2) Are you using a mounted (.iso or .bin / .cue) disc or nocd?
3) Are you running with a multi-Lib files installed and is able to open a quick mission or an aircraft selection list anywhere?

I am still narrowing down on what is causing my FA to CTD when using multi add-on Lib files.

"Great pilots are made not born... A man may possess good eyesight, sensitive hands, and perfect coordination, but the end product is only fashioned by steady coaching, much practice, and experience."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 05:44 am 

Nope... All I did was copy the entire janes directory to a jump drive from my XP system that I use for FAF testing that has all the FAF files and copied it over to the Win10 laptop and just ran it... Had no issues. But I have not thoroughly tested it beyond about a week off flying.

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 06:14 am 

Everyone,

I managed to successfully get my FA working in my windows 10. I have no absoutely idea what did I do, in order, to solve the problems. I am able to load Game Remod, FA Future, USN Raptor (Individual files version), FTRON, and other libs that uses multi LIb files.

For strange reasons, my Windows 10 just decided to let my FA work fully now. The beauty thing about it is that I can just load the copies into my flash drive (USB) and plug into my secondary laptop and just load FA flawlessly. When I went to the cafe,I could fly FA from USB drive and use a keyboard. I will look into using XBOX controller and see if I can program all buttons for that sim. When I go back home, I can use my trusty mini HOTAS (Joystick with a twisting feature for rudder, along with a throttle pad).

I am going to get Jane's IAF, USAF, and WWII fighters loading in Windows 10 next. If I managed to get it working, I'll let people know. To While I was looking for the solution to these sims on Windows 10, It turns out that there are people who managed to get all of these sims working in Windows 10 with patches.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 06:46 am 

Eagle114th wrote:
Everyone,

I managed to successfully get my FA working in my windows 10. I have no absoutely idea what did I do, in order, to solve the problems. I am able to load Game Remod, FA Future, USN Raptor (Individual files version), FTRON, and other libs that uses multi LIb files.

For strange reasons, my Windows 10 just decided to let my FA work fully now. The beauty thing about it is that I can just load the copies into my flash drive (USB) and plug into my secondary laptop and just load FA flawlessly. When I went to the cafe,I could fly FA from USB drive and use a keyboard. I will look into using XBOX controller and see if I can program all buttons for that sim. When I go back home, I can use my trusty mini HOTAS (Joystick with a twisting feature for rudder, along with a throttle pad).

I am going to get Jane's IAF, USAF, and WWII fighters loading in Windows 10 next. If I managed to get it working, I'll let people know. To While I was looking for the solution to these sims on Windows 10, It turns out that there are people who managed to get all of these sims working in Windows 10 with patches.

I bet I know what you did because I had to do the same thing today to get FA Futures onto my second Win10 system... You had to SAVE the XP Compatibility settings so the FA.EXE would boot... I used the troubleshoot compatibility option when right clicking the EXE...

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 08:53 am 

I see, that makes sense. I am completely relieved to have FA running successfully in both laptops now.

By the way, I also managed to get both Jane's IAF and USAF running on Win 10 without issues (thanks to the patches from Tackleberry).

UPDATE: I managed to get Jane's WWII Fighters working on Win 10 too.

After that, I want to see if I can finally get Jane's Longbow / Longbow 2 working. (Crosses my fingers).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 19:36 pm 

Eagle114th wrote:
I see, that makes sense. I am completely relieved to have FA running successfully in both laptops now.

By the way, I also managed to get both Jane's IAF and USAF running on Win 10 without issues (thanks to the patches from Tackleberry).

UPDATE: I managed to get Jane's WWII Fighters working on Win 10 too.

After that, I want to see if I can finally get Jane's Longbow / Longbow 2 working. (Crosses my fingers).

Keep us informed and post the procedure you did to get these old sims running on Win10!

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 23:00 pm 

Eagle's doing more work getting Jane's SIMs running for us on W10 than most people in the past.
:: cheers ::

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 03:22 am 

Centurian57_369th wrote:
Eagle's doing more work getting Jane's SIMs running for us on W10 than most people in the past.
:: cheers ::

Than all of us combined!

TSH Member/Developer

VNFAWING Forums
VNFAWING Website

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 07:46 am 

A head up for everyone, I posted the updates in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2461&p=21651#p21651